Chick Off for the Kick Off

Started by Consooger, September 08, 2012, 02:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

So my buddy shoots me a Facebook message about a month or so ago "do you want to come to my Chick off for the Kick Off"?

Basically its an excuse to drink heavily Saturday night and get up to watch football and cook/eat wings all Sunday. Sunday afternoon there will be people entering their favorite wings and they will have them judged on the best wings amongst friends.

I had some questions/concerns:

1. How much beer can I bring?
2. What are the specifics on the wings and entering (how many, sauces, wings vs drum sticks, etc etc etc)
3. How much beer can I drink
4. Is there somewhere I can sleep
5. What kind of cookers are people using?

The answers to my concerns were:

1. As much as you can fit into your car, seems simple enough
2. 12 wings must be presented by 2:30 pm, judges will judge them and eash judge has 3 votes, any style of sauce or no sauce, just cannot be store purchased wings (ie pizza hut, Buffalo Wild Wings etc) 6 of each wings and drums. This seems simple enough
3. As much as you can fit into your body while sharing, DAMINT
4. There is a bed with my name on it, SCORE.
5. Cookers are comprised of oil turkey fryers, an oven, and a grill. This is what I was told were all used last year but you can bring your own to cook on if you want I was told. OH HELL YES, I'm going with the SRG on this one. Oil wings vs SRG wings, NO CHANCE!!!!!

So my plan of attach is:

wings in the SRG with hickory smoke with a nice coating of Jan's rub or perhaps John Henry's Pecan rub. I just seasoned the SRG last week with some Jan's and CT, JH's Pecan rub and Tony's Creole seasoning, ALL of which turned out some of the best wings I have ever had, oh and with NO SAUCE. I'm going to have the wings after deciding which rub to use with a side of my Coal Cracker sauce for dipping and see how they compete amongst these turkey fryer style.

More to come on this tomorrow......
John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

CLAREGO

let the smoke be your sauce  8) Cool Deal

wetzel1977

Smoked wings r the way 2 go. WE  do them all the time with no sauce it ruins them try to explain that to everyone else in Pa, they look at you like your head is cut off and say your retarded,But when they try them they are your best buds then. Goodluck From Ringtown
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

KyNola

Hey John,
If you decide to use Jan's Rub with CT and if you win the contest with that combo, let me know.

Last night some guy that neither Jan nor me have ever met walked up to us and told us how much he liked the Rub.  "Thanks.  Who are you?"  Seems a mutual friend had given him the recipe and then pointed us out. :)

squirtthecat

mikecorn.1

Mike

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SiFumar

Just be careful with the seasonings you mentioned.....they have sugar and will burn in the SRG.  go lightly at first.  Good luck!

SnellySmokesEm

Interesting!  Keep us posted on the results and pics!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Consooger

SO the results are in. Before I go into what I did and how it was let's just say I did not partake in MANY libations the night before which would throw me off my game for the next day. Who am I kidding, it was an awesome time with some old friends, looking forward to doing it next year.

So there were 9 entries, some were VERY good and some were BLAH.

Some noteable styles were:

My buddy Jesse had a wing that was a parm and marinara sauce wing, essentially chicken parm in wing form. It was breaded and then fried and then topped with fresh parm and baked until the cheese melted and then covered with marinara, WOW they were amazing.

There was another entry that were heavily breaded and completely covered with habanero BBQ sauce and honey and those wings got my vote. Very Moist and meaty, those got 3rd place.

Second place was a baked wing from the oven and then smothered with a franks hot sauce, honey, chili powder, and maple syrup. Those wings were AMAZING. I voted for those as well. Im truing to track down that guy for the sauce recipe.

1st place with a difference of 4 votes from second was my wings...

I smoked with the SRG with Pit Master's Blend pellets and I cooked  them in the one and only Jan's Rub (thank you Larry and Jan) i did not sauce these since every other wing was sauced but I did however put a side of  my Coal Region Coal Cracker sauce for dipping. I had a gallon of that sauce and came home with none everyone kept asking for the recipe, I simply said "how about I just give you some to take home"

It was an awesome time I must say and give my thanks to all who helped me out on here as well.  Without the guidance and many conversations as well as following many others on this site it wouldn't have turned out the way it did.

Below are the pics of the event

all seasoned up

smoke's a rolling

mmmmmmmm

the entries, mine was the front row, second from the right, the ones behind me took 3rd place, the second place wings were in the round bowl on the left end, and you can see the chicken parm wings on the far left end. Sorry I didn't get better pictures of each entry.

again

and again

this was a cake brought to the event from a pastry chef in Philly. Craziest cake I ever saw.

some jerk took a picture with my trophy, nah that's just me

the wife said "take one more picture for your smoking family to see" sure thing honey

and that's all she wrote...

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

squirtthecat

KyNola

That is terrific John!  Great job my friend.

SnellySmokesEm

Congrats man!!!  SRG vs Oil..... SRG WINS!!!!!  I love my SRG
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist