• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Should I Freeze my Pulled Pork?

Started by begolf25, March 05, 2006, 11:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

Hey Fellas,
I have some family coming into town next weekend and right now I am smoking two 10 lb. butts for pulled pork.  I was unable to smoke them closer to next weekend because I will be out of town myself most of this week.

I just purchased a vacuum sealer so I will be using that to store the meat after its pulled.  My question is should I freeze the meat until next weekend or will it be ok in the fridge if I vacuum pack it?

Also, if I should freeze it what is the best way for me too reheat the meat?  I wanted to keep it in my crock pot during the day so guests can grab some when they need it. Do I need to thaw it out first before putting it in the slow cooker or can i just dump it in there frozen and let it thaw in there as it heats?

Thanks,
Bryan

Smudge

Vacuum packing would be my choice. I would be confident the product is safe, and would not acquire any off taste due to the sealing. One could argue it might even taste better after that amount of time in the fridge. Freezing IMO adds problems: when to take it out, where to thaw, how to get it to fit into the crock pot, change in texture.

All that can be avoided by keeping it fresh. You've got the perfect tool in the sealer to do that.

------------------------
~Tomorrow I've decided to be more spontaneous~

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

vacuum seal and freeze ,thats how i do it all the time, will pull the pork put enough in a bag for dinner will add some bbq sauce then seal. then pull out of freezer thaw , bring a  pot of water to a boil then turn off, throw bag in water cover, wait 20 min open bag , will taste just like it came out of the smoker,

boxertrio

what Rob said [8D]

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Smudge

He wants to have it in the crock pot, not boiled. His guests can fix a sandwich when they want.

I say keep it fresh. One could argue the smoke will incorporate better in that condition.

------------------------

begolf25

Thanks for the ideas fellas.  I would like to keep this in a crock pot like smudge says so it stays warm for a few hours for people to grab when they want.  I was thinking of adding a little apple juice to help keep it moist while its in the crock pot.

My main concern was if I needed to freeze it since it will be a week or if having it vacuum sealed in a fridge would be sufficient for a weeks time.

Smudge

I'll make one more push for keeping it fresh: it's so much simpler. I just see you having already pulled the pork and now only need to fork it into the crockpot in the morning.

------------------------

gary_CO

I wouldn't hesitate at all to keep it vacuum sealed in the fridge for a week, assuming it hasn't been mis-handled to date. I've kept pulled pork in the fridge for that long in just a covered casserole dish. I hasn't killed me or made me sick, but it might have caused some brain damage.

I agree that some moisture added to the crockpot is a good idea. I was thinking a some apple sauce and bbq sauce.

If you haven't considered a vinegar based sauce, try the following super-easy and cheap recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Stir all ingredients to dissolve solids, serve.
Goes perfect with pulled pork. Very long shelf life, but I wouldn't make too soon before your guests arrive cause there probably won't be any left. :)

IKnowWood

I have done the exact thing.  Smoked one weekend and then left sealed in a bag in Fridge for a week and toke out and heated and served.  And the week made the smoke and bark blend really great during the time.  Vacum seal then in Crock.

I also agree with Gary on the Vinegar.  Smoke & Spice calls it "Carolina Red" I believe.  The only diff is I think they toss some crushed red pepper with it.  I love it also.  And yes, make sure you have enough, it goes real fast.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

begolf25

Fellas, I decided to vacuum seal the pork and store it in the fridge for the week and see how that goes.  I need to remind myself to eat something before i start pulling the pork because I eat half of it while I am doing that.

Gary, I have a sauce that is very close to the one you gave me a recipe for but i am going to try your's this weekend and see how it goes over since it sounds so good.  Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll let you know how it goes over with everyone.

Bryan

The Yard and Pool Company
Click here for our complete line of BRADLEY SMOKERS & ACCESSORIES
I would like to pass on a special discount to all forum members so if you are interested in placing an order or if you have any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]

KurtI

I did two 14 pound butts last weekend and took it to my local butcher and he said that you have to wait for the meat to cool to room temp before you vac-seal it.  He is USDA inspected and says his inspector frows on vac-packing meat that is not room temp.

Brabus

I freeze it then thaw slowly in the fridge and make it into fried rice :D :D :D