• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Some Pen's Spicy sticks

Started by Sailor, October 13, 2012, 08:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Had a need for some Pen's spicy stix's http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?648-Greg-s-Spicy-Beef-Sticks Some mighty fine eaten.  I have changed it up to suit my taste.  I only use 5tsp of salt and use 1 tablespoon of granulated garlic instead of 1 1/2 tsp of garlic salt.  I up the Cayenne pepper to 1 1/2 tsp. Upped the black pepper to 1 tablespoon instead of 1 1/2 tsp.  I like my stuff with a bit more kick and a little bit more garlic.   

Makin a 5 pound batch and of course mixed in 1 tsp of cure #1.  I alway add ECA as I like the tang. 

All mixed up

19 MM casings on the tube

Shoot out a link and measure 37 inches and cut

Load up the Bradley 4 rack

With my extenders for the Bell hanger I find that a 37 inch length is just right so it does not touch the V-tray.  I get 6 1oz lengths from each length after they are done.  I get 54 cut to size lengths per batch.  Drying at 130 for 1 hr.  Bump to 140 for 2 hrs and roll Hickory, Bump to 150 for 2 hrs and then to 160 for 2 hrs then to 170 to finish with IT of 149 to 152.  Be back later

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

OU812

Them sticks are gonna be soooo gooood

NePaSmoKer

mikecorn.1

Snap into a Jim Slim! ;) ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sailor

Got busy and forgot about my stixs.  Checked them and the IT was 160.  No evidence of fat out but that is higher than I normally take them.  Got them hanging at the kitchen bar.  Will let them bloom for a few hours then into the fridge for a sleep over and cut up tomorrow.

drunknimortal

Those look good, you must not have a dog. I hung mine once from a couple of chairs, came back a few minutes latter and found my dog eaten them. Kid left the door open.

Sailor

Quote from: drunknimortal on October 14, 2012, 06:06:21 AM
Those look good, you must not have a dog. I hung mine once from a couple of chairs, came back a few minutes latter and found my dog eaten them. Kid left the door open.
I have a Caviler King Charles and he is well mannered and would not dream of getting into any thing without permission.  On the other hand, we watched my daughters 2 Labs one weekend when I did a load of SS.  Had them blooming between the bar stools.  I still call them land sharks.

OU812

Them sticks look GREAT!

My land sharks would have them gone as soon as I turned my back  ::)

SiFumar

Love Pen's Spicy sticks!  You a good looking batch!

pikeman_95

Those look very good Sailor. Though we could use a cut shot. That is if there are any left.

Sailor

In from the beer fridge sleep over and ready to cut up.

Using my handy dandy sausage link sizer.  Makes a perfect 1 oz snack stick link and is handy when doing link sausage as I get uniform links.  Just unplug a dowel and move it to make them longer.

$ shot for Kirby

53 links bagged up to take to my daughters tomorrow and the cook swiped one for quality control  ;D

pensrock

Great looking sticks, I'm glad you enjoy them. I also use more cayenne and black pepper but not everyone cares for things as spicy as I like so that is why the recipe is the way it is.  Its a great starter recipe that can be adapted to everyones liking.  :)

pikeman_95

Thanks for the cut shot. Nice smoke ring. They sure look good.
KC

Sam3