• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie looking for a temperature control

Started by nailerdog, April 04, 2006, 07:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nailerdog

Didn't find this forum until yesterday after my new stainess smoker arrived.  Spent a lot of time reading while my new smoker was seasoning. 

Did baby backs as my first project, they turned out great, they were dry-rubbed and sat for a couple hours prior to being put into the preheated smoker for 4 hours at 240 on the external thermometer.  Pulled them out and put on the grill 5 minutes to finish with my favorite sauce.  They were as good as the ribs by buddy with 4 years experience makes.

My question is about temerature control.  I've read a lot of the posts about the new model with digital control and I also read about the unit that controls heat by a fan and damper. 

Does anyone know of a simple unit that has a temp probe and power outlets that will cycle power on and off to control heat?

Something has to be out there from another application that would be useable.  Any news about bradley offering a retofit kit for our models?

Thanks

icerat4

welcome here nailerdog.lots of good info and people here .yes there is a way to do it i havint done this because i am going to get the new bs with temp control. but someone here will help ya soon enough and once again welcome here and enjoy. ;D

IKnowWood

nailerdog

Welcome to the forum, the new looking one.  We are all still getting used to the site and how this one is configured.  There is a lot of great info embedded in it.  Do a search on "'PID TS Controller" and you will see a lot of info. 

I build my TS Controller after looking at a lot of into, including http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2574.0

I used the Love TS 10310 from Dywer and put it in one of the Radio Shack project boxes with a regular residential outlet and switches.  I use the switches connecting plugs to the smoker generator and the box seperately.  This allows me to turn on and off the box wen cold smoking. and all I need to do is plug one thing into the wall and it all works. It was all low cost, the TS controller was $54 and a project 14 gauge cord and a plug and switch and project box.  All under about $100 and wired real easy. 

I am sure others will offer some insights.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

I haven't read anything about a unit that uses a damper and fan. You may be confusing the Raptor/Guru with the BBQ Guru Competitor. The Raptor/Guru controls the heat by regulating the heating element in the Bradley.

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=49&idproduct=166

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Adding to Habanero's post.  If you were using the BBQ Guru on a conventional smoker, which is possible with the fan you purchase additional to the actual controller - the BBQ Competitor or Procom4 the Controller controls the damper.  When used on the Bradley, the fan is replaced with the Raptor, or electrical current controller and it completely takes over the control of the smoker.  You just set the damper full on and the Competitor or Procom4 takes over and adjusts the temp in the Bradley automatically.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Arcs_n_Sparks

nailerdog,

Welcome to the forum. Here is a thread for a home-brew PID temperature controller. Very modular. Uses existing Maverick ET-73 temperature probe that many have.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2849.0

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!