• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chicken quarters, wings and parts

Started by Greenhead, October 18, 2012, 10:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenhead

I would like to cook up some chicken quarters, legs, wings etc.  I would like to smoke them than finish off on the grill.  Should I just use the smoke generator or heat also?  If so how hot and how long?  What type of wood and how much smoke?  Thanks for the help guys!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Greenhead on October 18, 2012, 10:28:30 AM
I would like to cook up some chicken quarters, legs, wings etc.  I would like to smoke them than finish off on the grill.  Should I just use the smoke generator or heat also?  If so how hot and how long?  What type of wood and how much smoke?  Thanks for the help guys!
Use the element also, I would do 225 or as close as you can get to it with at leaset 2 hours of smoke. Smoke till almost done and then transfer to grill to crisp up the skin. I like apple on my chicken but that is a matter of preference, use what you like. Also, smoke time is up to you, do more or less depending on what you like.
Mike

Greenhead

Since I am doing small and large pieces could I preheat to 225 put them in with 2 hours smoke than remove.  That way that keeps me from checkin temp on a bunch of different pieces.

JZ

You need to make sure they are cooked to the correct internal temp (IT) and from what I read on the recipe site that is 180 for whole birds or 170 for breast / parts. You should not assume that they will all be cooked after the 2 hrs of smoke / cook time. The small pieces will cook faster than the large ones and as such you really need to check them all. Or cook until the large ones are done and then you can be confident that the smaller ones are also cooked.

Habanero Smoker

You can preheat the Bradley to 225°F put the chicken in with 2 hours smoke (I generally use 1:40 hours) than remove, but then you should immediately finish cooking them on a grill, stove top or oven.

Depending on which recipe you read on the recipe site, the internal temperature may range from 155°F - 180°F.

The USDA recommends that you cook chicken to a temperature of 165°F, rather it is whole or parts. For whole birds the temperature should be taken at the deepest part of the thigh. As for myself, dark meat should be cooked to 165°F; mainly because if it is cooked to a lower temperature the texture and taste is not as good. For breast, I generally will only take breast to 155°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)