• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prepping? SHTF?

Started by cgaengineer, November 11, 2012, 07:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgaengineer

I am sure some of you are preppers? Wanna share some info?

I've had a chest freezer for about 3 years and its remained empty the entire time. This week I came into some extra cash so I went out and purchased 100 pounds of split chicken breast that were on sale...this is not including the 30 pounds I already had. I vac sealed 75% of it individually and I have tinkered with canning some with little success but will be trying again. I've been making inexpensive meals using chicken and cheaper cuts of beef (Soups, stews, chili, gumbo) utilizing the pressure cooker. I purchase many items from the $1 store, broths, egg noodles, dry beans, rice to store in my food shelf. When I buy meats almost zero goes to waste...all chicken parts are freezed for broth as are beef parts (bones, skin and fat). What is leftover from cooking is fed to my two fat...well fed dogs (who usually are in the kitchen at my feet waiting for handouts).

I've had my pressure cooker for about 3-4 years and have just now started using it because I finally learned how.

So other than guns, bullets, gas and generators and other anti zombie stuff what do you fellas' do to prepare for uncertain times?

I know it feels really good to have a freezer full of various garden veggies, meats and beans so that as things slow down for me this winter (lawn care) I'll have plenty of food to feed my family.
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

muebe

I always keep plenty of pulled pork vac sealed in the deep freezer. It is so versatile and keeps for months. Just pull out a bag when needed. I make 15 to 18 pounds at a time in my pellet smoker. Keeps my friends and family happy ;)

Made a dry-aged rib eye roast and cut into individual steaks. Vac sealed and into the deep freeze too.

I always keep plenty of tri-tips on hand. Pick them up every time they are on sale.

And a couple whole chickens. Also cryovac packages of chicken legs.

I also buy a whole pork center loin and cut that into thick chops.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)