• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pumpkin seeds

Started by Rad Rich, October 31, 2011, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad Rich

Hey anybody have a recipe for smoking pumpkin seeds? I found this one on a site.  It looks good brined the seeds in salt and smoke rub overnight, sprayed with some olive oil then
coated them with rub again.  Smoking for 2 hours over hickory then keeping in the obs for 2 more hours on high.  Only worried about the foil in the rack the seeds are on. I remember reading never to put foil in the obs but I think they are talking about the drip tray. Any suggestions?

Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

devo

JZ

Did a batch of peanuts on a metal tray the wife uses in her toaster oven and they turned out pretty good but I think something porous to put the nuts on would be better.

Frog mats seem to be popular but I can't find a local supplier for them and I don't know if the openings are small enough to hold (shelled peanuts) so I was thinking about using some screen (like the stuff used on screen doors) I am sure it is not FOOD safe but not sure if it any worse than some of the other chemicals that go into our bodies everyday form all of the processed foods we eat and drink.

I read somewhere to use cheesecloth for nuts.

viper125

I have a fish tray for doing fish on the grill works great holes are pretty good size but small enough not to lose them. Lots of smoke gets through and metal so it will last a five time. Any Walmart has them.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Rad Rich

Gonna buy two frog matts .  Went on yardandpool and they look good.  Thinking about going outside and poking some holes in the foil.

Rad Rich

Oh they are looking good and are tasty. Not sure how dry to get them

seb bot

Thought I would bump this up as Halloween is fast approaching!

Having my nephew and sister over for dinner this Staurday, gonna be doing some pumpkin carving afterwards. Planning on doing ribs on the Bradley for dinner, which got me to thing about smoked pumpking seeds!

Did a little searching, found a few posts, anybody got any suggestions as to flavour of puck or how much smoke?

Thinking it should be maybe be a touch less than almonds, maybe 1-1/2 hours or so, then finish in  the oven with some seasoning salt or?? ( Maybe Jan's rub even?)

Anybody else planning on doing some pumpkin seed this year?

Bear1968

Me!  :)

Just have not gotten to my neighbors far to pick a few up yet.  ;)
UBC Local 268

viper125

Bought a dozen when they offered us a discount on them Very nice. I also wrap loins and hams or any soft piece of fresh pork to smoke. Gives it a nice round shape and I love the pattern it leaves. also if you roll corner to corner the squares become diamonds and looks great.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

Cheese cloth works good. I have used it for Almonds but you have to watch it slipping threw the holes near the edge. I have two baskets that I made out of door screen and it works great cause you can fold the corners and the sew them with fine wire to make them like baskets. It is a tedious process but works. I have the frog mats which are awesome but you have to watch the nuts and seeds from falling of the side.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

I wrap some foil around the edges of the rack then plop the frog mats in and the nuts stay put