• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Holiday Summer Sausage question

Started by Sam3, December 04, 2012, 06:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam3

I recently made some Antelope Summer Sausage in my Bradley and I want to ship a chub back to my cousin in PA.
Yes, it has Cure #1 in it and it was cooked to an IT of 156. Vac sealed and then frozen.

Do I have to keep this frozen while shipping (2-3 priority mail) or is it OK to have it defrosted when it arrives.
Thanks!

Sailor

Sam, I have shipped lots os SS that has been vac sealed without any problems.  As long as you got all of the air out when you vac sealed it.  I shipped some to my Brother on the Monday before Thanksgiving using Priority mail and he should have gotten it on Weds but did not get it until Saturday.  He said it was nice and fresh.  He and his family ate some and put the rest in the fridge and have been eating it with no ill effects.  I think a vac sealed pack of SS will have a shelf life of at least 2 weeks without being frozen or in the fridge.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pmmpete

To be safe, I suggest that you figure out how to keep the sausage frozen during shipping.

I have two friends who are on medication which needs to be kept cold.  Every month they receive an insulated shipping cooler in the mail with their medicine.  So I have an endless supply of well-insulated free coolers.  Another source of free coolers is people who order meat from internet suppliers.  If you don't have access to coolers like those, you can improvise a cooler by lining a shipping box with building insulation foam.  You can't buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and ship it naked; shippers will require you to put the cooler in a box.

My neighborhood supermarket sells dry ice.  Check the USPS, UPS, and Fed Ex shipping regulations, but I recall that it is legal to ship up to five pounds of dry ice.  I determine the latest time I can deliver a box to the shipper and have it go out that day.  An hour before that time I take my meat, sausage, or fish out of the freezer, put it in a cooler, leaving enough space for some dry ice, drive to the supermarket, buy some dry ice, put it in with the meat, tape the cooler shut, and deliver the cooler to the shipper.  Meat I have shipped this way always arrives frozen.  It helps if you ship the meat during the winter, when warehouses and trucks are colder.

Sam3

Thanks for your help guys. I have a good vac seal on it, was just nervous about shipping it while it defrosted.

NePaSmoKer

Sam

Properly cured and vac sealed it will be fine to ship. I shipped SS, bologna, sticks and jerky to Iraq and Afghanistan many times and my sons said it was great. No ice shipped with any and i know you cured it right.

Double or triple seal both ends of the vac bags

Sam3

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 04, 2012, 08:11:22 AM
Sam

Properly cured and vac sealed it will be fine to ship. I shipped SS, bologna, sticks and jerky to Iraq and Afghanistan many times and my sons said it was great. No ice shipped with any and i know you cured it right.

Double or triple seal both ends of the vac bags

That's true, I forgot about you sending stuff overseas to the boys. I didn't double or trip seal, but it has a real good one. I think it will be OK.
Thanks for the input Rick!