• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Digital Controller, is a pid required

Started by hvhunter, December 11, 2012, 11:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvhunter

Hi guys. I have an OBS with a pid. A friend of mine just picked up a Jim Beam BTDS76JB Bradley Smoker 4-Rack Digital Outdoor Smoker.
He plans to do the same thing I do; smoke venison sauasge, fish, pork.

I am not familiar with the digital version at all. The question I have is:  does he require, or it is recommended, that he get a pid
controller also? Or is that what the digital version of the smoker does?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

GusRobin

Quote from: hvhunter on December 11, 2012, 11:51:55 AM
Or is that what the digital version of the smoker does?

In my opinion, the same thing your OBS with the PID does except the PID holds closer temp swings;
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

i have the obs with  a PID and timer generally it holds  very close temps to set point, so a PID in my view is good to have..

owner for 7  years

josbocc

HV,

I have a DBS6, and when I first purchased it, I was experiencing temp swings of upwards of 20 degrees F.  The Auber PID keeps my tower within 2-3 degrees, which is very helpful when smoking "sensitive" foods.  Strongly encourage it.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Toker

The only difference with a dbs and pid, is that the pid does not controll the smoke generator. So, the digital smoke generator must be plugged into the wall unlike the obs.

mikecorn.1

If he is going to do sausage and fish I would recommend getting the PID.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Ketch22

HI
That is a Yes on the PID I have a 6 rack and a 4 rack with Pid for both.

viper125

That the reason they sell so many 4 racks. If they ever get together with Aubur  and add a pid instead of their digital control,it would sell  like hot cakes. Would love a 6 rack  even if you could buy with out the digital. LOL!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.