Never smoked before

Started by JelloStorm, December 16, 2012, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JelloStorm

Hey all!

My name is Bryan, and I'm from Northeast Pennsylvania and I suffer from a complete lack of good food.

I'm considering getting a Bradley 4-rack digital smoker, however I have never smoked anything before and to a complete noob it can all seem pretty overwhelming.

I'm a huge fan of Damon's baby-back ribs, but I think everyone is capable of doing their own and doing them better.

Yall may laugh, but I've been watching that BBQ Pitmasters show on TV and have been learning a lot and the food looks SOOO GOOD, that I want to just lick my LED TV  ;D

What are some good guides on how to do a few racks of ribs? I'd like to try a rack of dry rub and then a rack of BBQ and tinker a bit from there. I'm a big fan of the more tangy BBQ sauces, like Bullseye and Jack Daniels vs. sweeter sauces like Baby Ray's. That Jan's rub sounds interesting so I might give that a try at first. That Gunpowder rub also sounds very interesting...

Once I get the technique down, maybe come early April when Trout season starts give some game fish a try.

Thanks for any help guys!

Bryan

Keymaster

Welcome aboard Brian, Glad to have you here.

Silvergrizz

Gotta warn ya, I just started this October and I am now an addict. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GusRobin

Welcome. Others may disagree but if I was going to buy a 4 rack I would buy a non-digital 4 rack and buy A PID temperature controller. You will end up with tighter temp for fish and sausage.

Cabellas has it for $249 and the PID is on sale for 170 for a total $419 which is about what the digitals are going for. In my opinion you get the same benefits of the digital but tighter temp control.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

JelloStorm

Quote from: GusRobin on December 16, 2012, 06:51:46 PM
Welcome. Others may disagree but if I was going to buy a 4 rack I would buy a non-digital 4 rack and buy A PID temperature controller. You will end up with tighter temp for fish and sausage.

Cabellas has it for $249 and the PID is on sale for 170 for a total $419 which is about what the digitals are going for. In my opinion you get the same benefits of the digital but tighter temp control.

This would be a pretty big thing to think about. What do you all think of Gus' post?

Any guidance on what to get from lessons learned would be extremely helpful!

KyNola

Quote from: JelloStorm on December 16, 2012, 07:51:41 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on December 16, 2012, 06:51:46 PM
This would be a pretty big thing to think about. What do you all think of Gus' post?
If you had any experience at smoking meat I wouldn't disagree all that strongly with Gus but at this point I do.  You have never smoked anything before so you simply don't need a PID.  A PID is a device that will holds the temp in the tower very very close.  That is critical when you are curing and stuffing your own sausages and certain fish preparations.  For a brand new smoker such as yourself, you simply don't need it.  I have been smoking foods for 30+ years.  I have a digital 4 rack.  I have a brand new PID that I have owned for almost 2 years.  It's still in the box.   The 4 rack digital will have temp swings of up to 20 degrees +/- until the meat comes up to temp.  With briskets, chickens, ribs, pork butts and other whole cuts of meats the temp swings aren't a big deal.  Curing, stuffing and smoking sausage is a different story.

Sorry Gus.  You and I have a difference of opinion on this topic but I still like ya! ;D

JelloStorm

All great info guys! Thank you for that.

Cabelas has the 4-rack digital for $429 plus tax, however I've seen the Jim Beam unit for much less.

http://homegardenoutdoors.com/product/4065_Jim-Beam-BTDS76JB-Bradley-Smoker-4-Rack-Digital-Outdoor-Smoker.html

Why the huge price difference?

Robert Rose

Both are good prices. On the Bradley web page both units are the same price, $499. As far as I know the Jim Beam just has the JB Logo.
Robert Rose
Director Region 3
Texas Association of Bass Clubs
CoCoRaHS Volunteer TX-ER-4

murrhunts

Welcom aboard, I just got my Bradley this summer and it is all I want to do now.  You'll enjoy it

What part of Pa. you from, I live in Schuylkill County the Pottsville area