• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey Sausage w/ Cranberries (Updated... with pics on page 2)

Started by Neocrunch, December 08, 2012, 06:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Why in the F would you use 12.5 times more?

Thats wrong info.

Use 7.5 TEASPOONS OF MTQ TO EVERY 5 LBS OF MEAT.....EASY

Im with Habs on this

Neocrunch

OK........   THE RESULTS ARE IN.......   I would have posted this a couple days ago but we had a windstorm come through central Indiana and I've been without power.   :(   

6 lbs turkey, 1 lb chicken hearts/gizzards, 3 lbs pork fat, 2 cups dried cranberries, 1 cup Pinot Grigio, 80 g salt, 35 g sugar, 12 g pepper, 6 g rosemary, 3 g ginger, and 3 g cinnamon. Water bath to internal temp of 160. Brown and serve!

I should have run the gizzards through the grinder a 2nd time.  There are a few pieces of "grizzle" in the sausages, but nothing that deters from the taste.  It was a little sweet for my taste.  I would half the sugar next time.  Otherwise, it's pretty dang good.  Thank you all for the help.  I'm glad Hab and NePa and KyNola talked me out of smoking them.  The water bath was much less hassle and I'm glad the sausages aren't salty.
Thought sausage smokin' in the shed. Tickle in the kitchen just losin' that head.

Habanero Smoker

The sausage looks good. They brown up real nice when pan fried. If you are using craisens, reducing or eliminating the sugar will help.

The craisins are sweet, if you went with the cranberries you would get a totally different sausage. When I make the original from Ruhlman's book, the recipe calls for dried tart cherries. Once I used sweet cherries and it came out way too sweet. The tartness from the dried tart cherries makes this sausage unique, as probably using the cranberries would make the sausage you made more unique.

The next time I make this sausage I'm thinking of adding some hearts and gizzards. I'm thinking about processing them in the food processor to provide small chunks throughout the sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)