Looking to get my first Bradley

Started by Quackerstacker, December 27, 2012, 12:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quackerstacker

Hey, I've been using a weber charcoal smoker for 10 yrs now. Finally with having 2 kids I don't have time to babysit my smoker anymore. So in upgrading to a Bradley. I've done some basic investigating an in not really sure which model to get.  I originally was going to get the digital 6 rack so I could cook more meat but I've seen quite a few negative reviews saying to just get the original black non digital 4 rack. Can any one help me out with how much meat they both hold and any other tips for which to get and why? Like can I fit a whole brisket a a couple slabs of ribs in the original? Or a pork butt and a brisket?

beefmann

welcome aboard..

a lot depends on the cut of meat, while a pork shoulder, or ham quarter could be upwards of 25 lbs  and pretty much takes two racks all by them self i have  done 40 lbs of trimmed tri tip, 35 lbs of brisket trimmed down to fit on the 4 racks, done a 27 lb turkey by its self almost filling my 4 rack..

bottom line it depends on the type of meat, how it is cut compared to the volume of the smoker. for a family of 4 and  15 to 20 guests a 4 rack would do nicely with the sides being made else where.

for me i have done bbq get together , 35 guests, 25 lbs of pork for pulled pork in my 4 rack, 6 quarts of baked beans in a crock pot, corn on the cob  in another 2 - 7 quart crock pots, dips , chips, drinks in a 100 quart ice chest.

hope this helps

Quackerstacker

Thank you! Would you say the original one is the way to go? I've seen a few negative reviews on the temp set range on the digital ones?

beefmann

personally I would say yes. Also never owned a digital Bradley so i can not speak for them, the non digital 4 rack also will have temperature swings as well,,,dont worry about the temp swings to much, it happens in most all smokers, as long as the element is on and door is shut your cooking   

KyNola

I own a digital 4 rack and it performs just fine.  I set the temp and walk away.  I don't have to figure out where to set a temp slider with the original Bradley Smoker or where to set the knob on the new original Bradley Smoker.  Both types will have the temp swings.

Choose what you like best and don't worry about it.

Grassman

Fairly new at this, but this is my set up ( i spent a lot of time reading reviews and threads)

I purchased the BITIS1 (Black smoker 4 rack) I did the feed mod for $4  - to keep the front plate from cracking Took lees than 10 minutes while I was taking it out of the box. Mod information on this site.

Added the second element in one hour $20 ( before I even set it up) Mod information on this site.

Purchased dual probe PID  $170

First smoke went great - program held temps within 1 -2 degrees smoker heated up from 40 degrees to 250 in less than 20 minutes empty with cold water in the drip pan - With an 8 - 9 pork butt up to temp in 30 mins.  Great that you can set temp and time for the smoke - shut of smoke generator off with the PID  and then program internal temp and cabnet temp and let it rip - No baby sitting!

I love it - but everyone will have their own opinions - this is mine.
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732