• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first attempt at a smoked meal.

Started by nyg60, January 07, 2013, 09:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyg60

I made some mistakes.

1-I didnt think to rotate the meat, result was uneven cook marks, but the meat was evenly delicous..

2-need to purchase frogmats

SIDE NOTE---I have to find a page with mods, a second element and a pid.  (help)  I have searched, found one and lost it.  Is there a page with all mods for a 4 rack?

OK here are my pictures.

I decided to smoke a meatloaf.

Heres what I did...

I combined onions and garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, ketchup/bbq sauce/worscheshire sauces, and some other spices.

Lined a loaf pan with cling wrap, set the meat and a surprise you will see in last pic.  flipped the loaf out and onto a rack and smoked at ~180 for 3 hours with mesquite

Here it is fresh out of the smoker, into a blanket of foil, which I wrapped and baked in oven at 375 for 30 minutes, here you can see that I didnt rotate/flip the loaf.  But it was not burnt and tasted awesome..

I then pulled the loaf out of oven, unwrapped the foil, placed into a bake dish, and smothered top with my favorite BBQ sauce, back into oven at 400 for 25 minutes

Lastly, the "surprise"

The night before I smoked the loaf, I made a batch of fresh macaroni and cheese, extra cheesey, and rolled a length of mac n cheese into cling wrap, and froze the log, to be inserted into my meatloaf concotion the following day.
End result was simply a delicouos, juicy, great smoke flavored meatloaf, and so  so filling...

Thanks in advance for any help with that mod page addy...

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Nice idea on how you stuffed the meatloaf with mac & cheese.

Smoking/cooking ground meat at a cabinet temperature lower then 225°F is not recommended; unless you have added sodium nitrite, in the form of Cure #1 or Morton Tender Quick. Smoking/cooking at lower cabinet temperatures you are at risk of allowing food borne bacteria to grow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

good job on your  smoke,,, also consider add int a  fan into the cabinet to help even out the temps

DetroitSmoke

What I did for my dual element setup was install a DPDT lighted switch for the elements.  I wired it up so that I could have both elements on full or switch to one element with slide control (factory default).  I don't have a PID yet so I can switch both on to start up then switch to one element to smoke.  I only turn on both when I open the door then one off after a few minutes.  Even if you have a PID if it takes a crap you can still smoke.  Good luck on your mods.
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

SiFumar

Still a nice looking meatloaf!  Are you taking notes on what you liked or didn't like?  It will help for future smokes and you can repeat smokes you're happy with.

nyg60

Yes, I actually made a log to add what I liked and did correct or wrong..  Thanks all!!

First brisket attempt planned for this weekend, UNLESS the 2 storms they are looking at actually become a norester..