• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

No Smoke - Not Happy

Started by starzen, March 24, 2013, 06:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starzen

third time using my bradley. Smoke generator wouldnt heat up. After playing with it for a while it would finally heat up but after 2 pucks or so it stopped again. Sometimes when i touch it it gets a little hot but not enough.

wasted 6 racks of baby backs today

Not very happy today

i opened up the box and couldnt see any loose wires. all looked ok

anything i can do ?

thanks

Mike

classicrockgriller

Sometimes the wires don't look loose.

You may have to manually push each connector to make sure it is seated.

Here is a link to FAQ on the recipe site that may help.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?481-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s

starzen

thanks

i tried reconnecting all the wires. Also measured if there was a resistance in the element (had 130 ohms if i remember correctly)

i tried all kinds of things and no luck

later i turned it on again and the smoke started working again

problem is that next time i try to smoke something it may not work again

would be nice to find a specific problem so i could trust it working next time

it seemed to actually heat up to a point it almost hurt to touch but not enough

classicrockgriller

That is not a normal problem (work this time but not the next).

I would give Bradley USA or Bradley Canada a call tomorrow and
go over the problem with them.

They are great and will fix you up.

I hope you didn't ruin them ribs and that you found some way of
cooking them.

viper125

Just wondering. You running on an extention cord. Or a heavy loaded circuit?  If so try plugging it in alone on different circuit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

DeeDubz - Smokin Bro #1

Very similiar issue happened to me on my second smoke except mine wouldn't make smoke at all., luckily I found out before I put the meat in. After taking it all apart and inspecting, replacing the fuse in the back of the box, I ended up calling bradley. They were quite heplful and sent me out a new element, unfortunately they sent a replacement element for the cabinet. So I called them again, and still helpful he sent me out a replacement burner for the smoker which came quite quickly, about 10 min to install and put box back together. Got it working just in time for the batch of bacon I had curing and it's work perfect every since. 

Thanks to Bradley customer service who got it handled!

TedEbear

Quote from: starzen on March 24, 2013, 08:25:34 AM
i tried reconnecting all the wires. Also measured if there was a resistance in the element (had 130 ohms if i remember correctly)

Normal resistance is about 27-33 ohms.  Did you disconnect the wire off one end before you measured?  Also, you didn't say anything about the cook chamber not getting up to temp, just the smoke generator.

starzen

cook chamber is working fine all the time

the issue i have is the heating element for the smoke (the one the pucks sit on)

i disconnected the plug before measuring.

it seems to be an intermittent problem. I did get it to smoke again. Problem is next time it will probably fail again

i saw the 30 ohm information but that was for the heating element in the cab. I coudlnt find any information on the heating element for the smoke

TedEbear

Quote from: starzen on March 24, 2013, 01:52:40 PM

i saw the 30 ohm information but that was for the heating element in the cab. I coudlnt find any information on the heating element for the smoke

Ah, OK.  I thought you were talking about the cooking chamber heating element.  I don't know if anyone other than you has posted the resistance of the SG hotplate element.

viper125

When not working did you have 120 volts where heater plugs in. Could be heater or even a bad wire.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

This is a unique problem. Generally if the burner doesn't work the unit will trip the GFI; at least with the OBS. After you speak with Bradley customer service can you post the solution so I can add it to the FAQ's on the recipe site.

With this being a digital, it could also be a malfunctioning display panel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Alanfromwis

The 130 ohms is about right as the math on that is 120 volts divided by 130 ohms = just under 1 amp times 120volts = 120 watts. If I remember right smoker element is rated at 125 watts, right in the ball park.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday