Hunter Sausage Question - Now Answered with pics.

Started by JZ, March 20, 2013, 09:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I plan on making some Jagerwurst and have a store bought ham that has been smoked and cooked. I want to mix this with some raw ground pork to make the sausage. The ham ingredients include "nitrite" so I am thinking I should take the raw pork and mix in 1 tsp of cure #1 for each 5 lbs of raw pork, let that sit for a few hours then mix in the store bought ham (with out adding any cure for its weight) then adding the spices, mix, stuff, smoke and cook.

Does that sound right?

JZ

No replies so I figured it must be right and went for it. I made 2 new sausages (my first time with these recipes). The first was a Jagerwurst and the second was a Polish sausage.

First pic is the Polish sausage after stuffing this morning.

Then the Jagerwurst after stuffing.

Then both of them smoking along nicely.

Here they are blooming.

All piled up on the counter.

And a pic of the polish after a sample.

This stuff is really good. I will give the Jagerwurst a taste test tomorrow.

Waltz

Sausages look great JZ. I saw your original post but did not reply because I was not sure if what you were suggesting was 'right' or not. It seemed like what I would do if I was doing that kind of thing but have no experience of it to comment. I am glad they turned out so well.

JZ

Thanks Waltz. I wasn't sure either but it kind of made sense to me, so I ran with it and the results were good. I tried the Jagerwurst today and it was good but the polish was definitely the winner.

These took on some very nice color and smokey flavor. Went with 4 1/2 hrs of pecan.

Sailor

Nice looking sausage you got there.  Yes you were right about the cure.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

bundy

Really looks good, what was the polish recipe ?

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!