• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Setting up for the first time

Started by tsuri, April 24, 2013, 09:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsuri

Do you guys set up the smoker on the ground or place it on a table? I've seen video's of people who put it up on bricks. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

TedEbear

People around here do both. I put mine on a concrete slab when smoking and back in the basement when I'm finished.

tskeeter

To make controls easier to see and reach, I put the smoker on a table using a couple of saw horses and a scrap of plywood.  Not having to get up off the ground is more of an issue when you become a fat old guy than when you're 25.

Another thing I did was to put the smoker of a furniture dolly or a hand truck to move it in and out of the garage.  Saves on banged up hands if you're moving the smoker in and out a garage service door.

My long term solution is a smoker house.  This lets me recover the garage space that the smoker sits in, reduces the amount of set up as the smoker is always set up and ready to go at a convenient height with the wires connected, etc., no more moving the smoker in and out of the garage, it provides additional convenient storage space to keep my smoking supplies at my finger tips, and allows me to have a light semi permanently installed where it lights the inside of the smoker for those night time or winter evening smokes. 

drano

A table, or at least cement blocks, to get it up off the ground will make putting meat in it easier. 
So go that route if you can.

tsuri

Quote from: tskeeter on April 24, 2013, 09:58:17 AM
To make controls easier to see and reach, I put the smoker on a table using a couple of saw horses and a scrap of plywood.  Not having to get up off the ground is more of an issue when you become a fat old guy than when you're 25.

Another thing I did was to put the smoker of a furniture dolly or a hand truck to move it in and out of the garage.  Saves on banged up hands if you're moving the smoker in and out a garage service door.

My long term solution is a smoker house.  This lets me recover the garage space that the smoker sits in, reduces the amount of set up as the smoker is always set up and ready to go at a convenient height with the wires connected, etc., no more moving the smoker in and out of the garage, it provides additional convenient storage space to keep my smoking supplies at my finger tips, and allows me to have a light semi permanently installed where it lights the inside of the smoker for those night time or winter evening smokes.

I like that idea.  Do you have any pictures?

Habanero Smoker

I have mine on a cart that I purchased from Sam's Club. The top shelf of the cart is approximately at counter top height. It makes it much easier to handle the food. It is fairly easy to move around on the deck, and level lawn.

Very similar to the art in the below link:

Utility Cart

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ragweed

I bought a Craftsman "tool chest" on wheels.

beefmann

some kind of support so you  wont have to bend over is best and the use of a table for placement of food ready to go into the  smoker or being retrieved from the  smoker