Pepperoni & Cheese Slim Jims

Started by NePaSmoKer, May 08, 2013, 07:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

So what are you guys using to hang your pepperoni in the smoker? Are they just homemade or something you purchase?

Keymaster

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on May 16, 2013, 10:40:50 AM
So what are you guys using to hang your pepperoni in the smoker? Are they just homemade or something you purchase?
You can make your own out of hickory dowel or I use 1/2" Stainless tube from a commercial door down rod. You can buy the bell v rods which work well to keep the sausages from touching at butcher packer HERE

tskeeter

Thompson, people use a variety of home made and commercial smoke sticks to hang things for smoking.  Simple hardwood dowels are very common.  To keep them from rolling, a person might want to make some flat surfaces on either end.  In the photos at the beginning of this post you can see NePa's stainless steel smoke sticks.  I got mine like NePa's from Allied Kenco.  They are shaped kind of like angle iron and you cut them down to fit you smoker.  There is also a stainless style that is shaped more like a star.  I don't know of any reason why you couldn't use aluminum angle from some place like Home Depot, if you wanted.  I chose stainless because you can throw it in the dishwasher to clean and sanitize it.  Dishwasher soap is caustic enough to cause a fair amount of oxidation on aluminum, so I don't like to put aluminum in the dishwasher.  If you wanted stainless, you might be able to get some scrap stainless angle from a scrap metal recycler.

Skishy

Looks Awesome Nepa. Question though, when you make those sticks, do you use the high temp cheese or just the regular stuff?
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Skishy on May 16, 2013, 05:31:11 PM
Looks Awesome Nepa. Question though, when you make those sticks, do you use the high temp cheese or just the regular stuff?

I use regular cheese. High temp cheese is coated in food grade creamed phosphate (not bad i just dont like it)
I use a 1/4x1/4" or 1/8x1/8 chopper to cube my cheese.

My 1/8" chopper

If you follow the low to high temps the regular cheese wont melt.

Here some sausage making in my RV
http://s868.photobucket.com/user/nepas1/slideshow/2013%20sausage?sort=3