• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack Sticks- All the questions paid off

Started by wkahler, May 15, 2013, 10:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Here is the run down of the project! 
Mixed hot mix into 5lbs of ground hamburger
Stuffed into cologne casings
Put on smoker at 9:48am on the smoke setting
Pulled at 1:25PM IT was 152-154
Turned out good texture is kind of puree texture

I think i might have done a few common sense things wrong.  Like forgot to put the grinder parts in the freezer and so i think that might be why the texture was a little off.  Also forgot to take the meat and freeze it a little first.  Half way through i took the knife out of the grinder to make it stuff a little easier.  I am going to order the LEM 15lbs stuffer for my birthday once the family gets the word LOL!!  Going to do another 5lbs here in a few with the original mix to see the taste difference in flavor.

The smoking lamp is lit!!!

NePaSmoKer

Dont mix your ingredients into hot water. Always use cold water and mix seasoned cold water into the meat.

When you use your grinder as a stuffer dont use the blade and plate to stuff. You will need a stuffing star. The star holds the auger in place. Grind first then take plate/blade out then stuff ground into collagen or natural casings.

Also never put grinder parts in the freezer. The metal (EDIT) expands shrinks and the auger tight in the throat is not good. metal on metal = shavings

(We all learned at one point)

wkahler

OK go it, i was using the stuffing star so that was good just had the blade on.  I thought the parts needed to be cold, but the freezer is a no no so put them in the fridge???

NePaSmoKer

I wouldnt fridge them either.
Your only doing small batches? your not going to heat the grinder up that much to smear the fat.

Keep the meat cold. When its hot i use one them frozen sports wrap things to keep the throat cold.

wkahler

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 15, 2013, 12:42:18 PM
I wouldnt fridge them either.
Your only doing small batches? your not going to heat the grinder up that much to smear the fat.

Keep the meat cold. When its hot i use one them frozen sports wrap things to keep the throat cold.

No the most i am doing it at once is 20lbs. 

Tenpoint5

Don't feel bad Bill even us old dogs learn a few new tricks by still asking questions. I have some forum members on speed dial for help some days
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wkahler

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 15, 2013, 07:31:42 PM
Don't feel bad Bill even us old dogs learn a few new tricks by still asking questions. I have some forum members on speed dial for help some days
Looks like you are now on my speed dial LOL!!