• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My disasterous first attempt. Electrical help needed.

Started by tsuri, April 28, 2013, 03:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsuri

Been marinating my ribs for 36 hours.  Get it to room temperature, pre-heat the smoker.  Go out after 20 minutes to make the temperature is at 225 and it's only at 150.  I notice the light indicator is out.  I go check my electrical panel and sure enough, it tripped the circuit.  I reset it and try again. Trips again.  I'm not sure if it's a 10 amp or a 20 amp, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with the smoker causing an overloaded circuit?  Should 20 amp be sufficient or do I need to go higher?
I'm sure it's not the smoker giving issues. it trips when I plug my leaf blower in as well. I've accepted that since I only do it once or twice a year and have a work around (use another plug), but I plan on smoking weekly, so this needs to be fixed.

thanks for your help, as always,

T

GusRobin

probably need a 15 amp. If it keeps tripping on everything, I would have an electrician look at it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

try  moving to a receptacle  some  where else,,, maybe in another part of the house,,,, if you  do call  out an electrician to check out the circuit,,, you  may want to ask him to put in a dedicated circuit 

TedEbear

Quote from: tsuri on April 28, 2013, 03:35:02 PMI'm not sure if it's a 10 amp or a 20 amp, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with the smoker causing an overloaded circuit?  Should 20 amp be sufficient or do I need to go higher?

I've never heard of a 10A circuit for house wiring.  If it is a 20A it is fine for the Bradley UNLESS there is something else on the same circuit that, combined with the Bradley, is causing an overload. A factory stock Bradley only draws 5.2A of current.

Are you using a small wire gauge extension cord or something?

Alanfromwis

I have not heard of any 10 amp breakers for homes either. But breakers can get weak & trip at too low a current. If you have  a multimeter that reads ac current, check that. You said breaker, but GFI circuits can trip & open the circuit too.

Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

tsuri

Quote from: TedEbear on April 29, 2013, 04:45:29 AM
Quote from: tsuri on April 28, 2013, 03:35:02 PMI'm not sure if it's a 10 amp or a 20 amp, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with the smoker causing an overloaded circuit?  Should 20 amp be sufficient or do I need to go higher?

I've never heard of a 10A circuit for house wiring.  If it is a 20A it is fine for the Bradley UNLESS there is something else on the same circuit that, combined with the Bradley, is causing an overload. A factory stock Bradley only draws 5.2A of current.

Are you using a small wire gauge extension cord or something?
It might be a 15A, not sure. I wasn't using an extension cord. I have a heavy gauge, I use for my leaf blower. I plug that into another receptacle and it works fine. I just don't want to do that for the whole summer. 
I have an electrician coming in this week. Hopefully, he'll figure it out.

wetzel1977

BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

tsuri

Thanks to all for your help.  It was the GFI breaker. It was just sensitive to the smoker turning on/off. It tripped every time. Got a new breaker and it's working fine.  Unfortunately, I over smoked the ribs and they came out of tough and too smokey tasting.  I'll try again this weekend.  I used a 3-2-1 method for baby backs, I think that was too much time.  I'll try 2-2-1 next time.