I Was Thinking

Started by terry08, May 13, 2013, 04:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

And that scares Sherrie. She said ask the Bradley people. Lol
Sunday I made the chorizo and the Italian sausage. Since they are fresh and I use them in other dishes, I stuffed them in bulk 2 lb bags.
The Andouille & Kielbasa will be smoked. I want to speed up the process and finish  by poaching. Have seen posts here but can't find where. Any help will be appreciated and a make Sherrie, happy. I will be using my roasting oven for the poaching.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Tenpoint5

Same basic rules apply. Dont let your water temps get above 165-170. I would also suggest only putting 2 pounds at a time in the water. Same concept as opening the door heat recovery.  Takes about 20 minutes for me that way
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

I finish most all of my sausage by poaching in my roaster.  As Tenpoint says, don't let the water get above 170.  I keep mine at 162 - 165.  Really speeds things up.  And whether it's true or my imagination, I think the poaching firms up the sausage and makes them look prettier.

terry08

Thanks guys, I have smoked a ton of sausage in my smoke house, but never finished in a water bath. I really like the concept, will give it a try and post pics of the finished sausage. One more question, how long do you leave it in the smoker and to what temp, before moving to the bath.
Thanks again

GusRobin

I keep it in the smoker at 110* for the time I am applying smoke. Usually about 2 hrs.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

terry08

Thanks Gus, I usually hang mine for one hour at 100 * to dry then smoke at 130* for three hours. I get it now and will give it a try. I do appreciate all the help.

terry08

One more question for Tenpoint5,
if I smoke 16 lbs of Kielbasa, and remove from smoker after a couple hours of smoke how should I treat the other 14 lbs while the two pounds are swimming in the water bath. This has me a little confused.

Tenpoint5

Leave the smoker running until you pull the last of it out it isn't gonna hurt anything and the temps will continue to climb making bath times a minute or two shorter

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

terry08

Think I will use my Crawfish pot on the propane burner, I can poach all 16 lbs at once. Can't wait for tomorrow. Will post pics.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: terry08 on May 17, 2013, 02:29:24 AM
Think I will use my Crawfish pot on the propane burner, I can poach all 16 lbs at once. Can't wait for tomorrow. Will post pics.

Why be in a hurry and use something you have little to no control over the temp to poach your sausage in?

terry08

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 17, 2013, 05:52:21 AM
Quote from: terry08 on May 17, 2013, 02:29:24 AM

Why be in a hurry and use something you have little to no control over the temp to poach your sausage in?
No sure if it was Mr. Walleyes post or who but he said he said he did his that way. My Crawfish pot has a temp gauge so no problem there. The roaster just has the anolg dial, but I could still check water temp as needed. Just thinking the large pot to the be more accurate. I trust the temperature gauge on it, as I have checked it a couple of times.