OBS fire

Started by ddtdustin, July 22, 2013, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddtdustin

All
This weekend I had a fire inside my OBS.  It opened the thermal fuse and warped the inside back wall.  I removed the back cover and inspection the outside of the insulation which look pretty good.  However I am now concern whether insulation next to wall is damaged and could cause additional issues.  Anyone have any thoughts?
DDT

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

The main concern would be what caused the fire, and if any of the wiring; especially those that are connected to the element, has been damaged. Once those issues have been resolve, and measures have been put into place to reduce or eliminate this from occurring again; then move on the insulation problem.

If the insulation is damaged on the side wall(s), the problems that can cause will be that area of the cabinet will get hot on the outside, and the cabinet will not be able to hold the temperature as well as before. Because the outside may get hotter, you will need to keep it further away from any combustible material and don't touch that area and make others aware not to touch it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ddtdustin

I saw that picture after I post the message.  My smoker does not look anything like that.  It does look much different then when I add the second element earlier this year.  I am pretty sure the fired was caused by grease in the water pan and v tray which I was minutes away from removing/replacing.  All of the elements/wires are ok however my temperature sensors(auberins and maverick) did not fair as well.  So if it helps anyone else remove the probes (if you can safely) ASAP.  Has anyone ever replaced the insulation in the back of the OBS or is it best at that point just to replace the smoker?  I will try to post so picture tonight.
DDT     

beefmann

the fires in the bradley can happen though we can take steps to prevent it from happing , keep it  clean, remove any  grease build up, burnt on drippings etc to help prevent  fires, also i have read ..I believe on this forum some where that someone using clay based cat  litter to absorb the grease  drippings .. once it has absorbed all that it  can...  he throws it away and  starts  off with fresh  litter... may have to give that a  thought

rveal23

Speaking of cleaning out the Grease that accumulates, what is the best method for this, without adding any chemicals to the smoker?
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

beefmann

i steam clean mine,,,, no chemicals,,,, just good ole  steam,,,,  not  really  hot  water,,,, steam  steam  steam !! and paper towels or throw away  rags

KyNola

ddtdustin, where do you have grease accumulating?  The only place you should have any grease is on the racks, the v-tray or the water bowl.  If you have grease accumulating in other places there is something wrong.

DetroitSmoke

Occasionally I clean the inside of my OBS.  I do this by turning it upside down on my deck and spray the inside with generously with Purple Power or Oill Out.  Close the door and let it work but not dry out.  Then wash it out with a hose.  Repeat if needed.  Just dint get the controller wet.  If its a sunny day it will dry out in no time.
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID