• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie worries about smoker temprature

Started by Rufi, July 08, 2013, 03:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufi

Hey all, I just got a 4 rack digital smoker and did the seasoning step. I preheated the wood burner for 20 minutes and set the oven temprature to 150. I found though that the teprature was hanging out at around 185 for the entire hour. In fact it was getting nearly that hot during the first 20 min

I want to try and make the salmon recipe in the front of the booklet it came with, but as that calls for a temp of 120 for the first hour and I'm going beyond 150 just during the preheat, I don't know if thats possible.

Is there something I'm missing? I don't even know where to begin for troubleshooting this. :(

beefmann

welcome aboard,

try the following
1) open your top vent wide open
2) adjust your temp setting a  bit  lower

also  the bradley smokers  will have 30 to 40 degree temp. swings are normal unless you are runing a auber PID which  keeps the temp swings a  lot  closer then the stock controllers of the bradley

GusRobin

depending upon your ambient temp, you may not get it that low since the smoke generator adds heat.

Others have bought or made cold smoker box (simple as a cardboard box)
Added ice to the water tray
kept door open
smoke at night
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  I too have trouble keeping the temp down in the summer.  I get 130 F with just the smoke generator.  I crack the door and add a tray of ice.  Helps.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Rufi;

Welcome to the forum.

With the above advise, you will find that once you load the fish, that will also help with maintaining lower temperatures. If you can't smoke/cook at night, do it earlier in the morning. If you can only smoke/cook during the day, make sure you keep the smoker out of direct sunlight.

Below is a handly link full of tips and problem solvers:
Bradley RAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)