• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pepperoni sticks

Started by RAF128, June 05, 2013, 06:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I've had a Hi Mountain kit for some time so a few days ago decided to use some and give it a try.   So I took out some venison and bought some pork shoulder.   I've alway liked to add 30 % pork.   Decided to make 10 lbs of sausage so go 3 lbs of pork shoulder.    Yesterday, after the venison had thawed I cubed the meat, ground and seasoned.    Sorry no pictures at that point.    Then the stuffing began.    A quick picture of meat mixed

Then the stuffing

And some of the sausage stuffed.

When the sausage was stuffed, it went into the fridge overnight.   This morning it came out and was allowed to warm for an hours or so.   
I usually do my smoking in the garage but since today was going to be nice, I took the smoker outside.    Hung all at sausage and cranked up the smoker to warm.

An hour at 120 and then the smoke started to roll.    Here's everything set up

Sun up and helping the smoker.    Luckily there's no wind.  PID is doing it's thing.   Sausage was up to 100 F and aiming for 152.   

Tenpoint5

Great start on the sticks. I have heard the hi mtn seasonings are rather salty.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

I've used them before and didn't notice too much salt.   Maybe if you don't have enough meat but if you're careful and weigh thing correctly things will work out.   Or it's my taste buds ;)

cobra6223

I use hi mountain a lot and like them. Nice sticks and set up, what's the thing over the vent?

RAF128

Quote from: cobra6223 on June 05, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
I use hi mountain a lot and like them. Nice sticks and set up, what's the thing over the vent?
I do a lot of smoking over the winter and have my smoker set up in my heated garage.   I attach my vent pipe to that to vent smoke outside.

RAF128

Sausage are done and quite tasty.    When they got up to temp, put in a cold water bath, then hung to bloom.   Then brought inside and cut into lengths.    Here's a few after started to vacuum seal.

And here's what's going into the freezer

RAF128

The last 10 lb batch is almost gone :o.  So yesterday I started another 10lbs.     It's smoking as I type.   This time I wanted a little more zing so added some hot pepper flakes.    We'll see how that turns out.

Shasta bob

Hey i like the shelf for the Auber what is the secret i have been wanting to make one any Ideas pointers?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

RAF128

Quote from: Shasta bob on June 26, 2013, 09:33:24 PM
Hey i like the shelf for the Auber what is the secret i have been wanting to make one any Ideas pointers?

No secret.   Had a piece of counter top which had been cut out for a sink.   Made it the size I wanted.    A small bracket screwed to the side of the Bradley and a screwed to the shelf.    The PID sits on top.  That shelf used to be fastened to the wall in the garage but when I got the cart decided to make the self come along with the smoker.

Shasta bob

thanks any close up photos?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

RAF128

RHOUSER

What size casings are those?  (If I missed it I apologize.)
thanks rch