• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Napa Kimchi

Started by Tenpoint5, July 15, 2013, 02:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Smoking Don was nice enough to give me his recipe for Napa Kimchi. After conversing with him and I believe it was talked about on the forum. I tweeked it some on my last batch, which I put into jars this morning. I added a shredded Daikon Radish to the mix. Boy did it ever make a difference! It changed Don's recipe into the kimchi that my Korean neighbor used to make for me. So now I am Happy Happy Happy!!!

The Tag off the Daikon Radish

Everything all mixed up and ready to ferment for 2 days. The pink stuff is the white radish after it sucked up color from the Crushed Red Pepper that I used. Didn't have any Korean red pepper

After 2 days of fermenting I stuffed it into 3 quart jars. Don there was enough juice that I didn't need to add any water on this batch.

Everyone has been relocated into the cold storage of my beer fridge for a resting period. After I got everything put in the fridge. I went and got the mail. To my surprise I got a Box!! Seems our Favorite Turtle was thoughtful enough to send me some Korean Red Pepper Flakes! Along with a couple of other great seasoning packets for me to try!! So THANKS A LOT Ka Hanu!! I owe you my friend! Guess I get to make another batch of Kimchi now! ;D ;D

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

looking good chris
scott

Saber 4

Nice Kimchi and heck of a care package you got there.

SiFumar

Looks great!  I bet it's going to be wonderful!

pz

I've always wanted to try Kimchi, but never really knew what to do with it.  I visited Vegas a few weeks ago and went to a Korean market - the assortment of Kimchi was astounding!  I should have purchased a couple just to taste them.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

SiFumar

Quote from: pz on July 15, 2013, 07:45:18 PM
I've always wanted to try Kimchi, but never really knew what to do with it.  I visited Vegas a few weeks ago and went to a Korean market - the assortment of Kimchi was astounding!  I should have purchased a couple just to taste them.
You should have!  Amazing stuff!

pz

lol, living in Vegas, you might even know the place; I think it was called Greenland (or something like that) on Spring Mountain road.  In addition to a whole box full of various sauces, noodles, and even a Korean BBQ accessory, we ate ourselves full of sashimi!  It's a good thing we travel in an RV to haul the stuff back home.

SiFumar

Quote from: pz on July 15, 2013, 07:56:28 PM
lol, living in Vegas, you might even know the place; I think it was called Greenland (or something like that) on Spring Mountain road.  In addition to a whole box full of various sauces, noodles, and even a Korean BBQ accessory, we ate ourselves full of sashimi!  It's a good thing we travel in an RV to haul the stuff back home.

Lol...true!  But we actually learned to love the stuff when we lived in Korea.  Now that kimchi was amazing! ;D.

pz

Quote from: SiFumar on July 15, 2013, 08:06:36 PM
...But we actually learned to love the stuff when we lived in Korea.  Now that kimchi was amazing! ;D.

Man, I'll bet that you have some great culinary stories!  Me and my sweetie love to travel, and the best part is sampling the food of the area - we love to eat  ;D

mahto

looks good whats the recipe ;D
tu amigo
mahto

3rensho

Looks good.  I just put my last batch into the fridge yesterday after 48 hours of fermentation at ambient temp.  Can't get daikon here but there are local, very large radishes that I use and they are a great addition as well.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.