Refurbished Bradley Built-In - Element Options/Ideas?

Started by coherent, July 19, 2013, 11:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coherent

I've had my original Bradley for years and the cabinet finally started falling apart. Last year I build a large BBQ Island for the back yard and decided to "dismantle" the Bradley and use the guts for a built in. I'm lucky and have a CNC plasma machine so was able to cut all the metal parts, doors, smoke stack, vents parts etc with the CNC machine. One door accesses the smoke generator and controls and a PID I added, and another door is the actual smoker/racks. I was able to insulate everything fairly well except for the front door which is 16th in steel. Overall it's nearly twice as deep and 8 inches or so higher inside than the original. My problem (obviously because its larger) is that with the original heating element just doesn't get it as hot as needed so that I can maintain temps. Especially during cooler months. Has anyone attempted a project like this who can recommend a cheap option for another (additional or replacement) 120v internal heating element? I can wire it to the PID simply enough. If anyone has suggestions or has gone this route, I'd like to hear about it. Or, if any one is interested on my project, I'd be more than happy to post some photos and info.  Also (as an offer to help any fellow Bradley enthusiasts) if anyone is in Arizona (I'm in North Central AZ, Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott areas) and attempting something similar,  I'd be more than happy to cut any steel parts on the CNC machine for them for free if they supply or pay for the metal. I love my smoker!

Tenpoint5

I wonder how a portable electric burner would work in there. It should plug right into the pid
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

rexster

Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Habanero Smoker

If you are building from scratch, you could probably choose from several different options. You may want to look at the fin heating elements that some members have used to upgrade to 900w.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tskeeter

Coherent, how many heating elements are installed in your new smoker?

beefmann

if you  have the room, may  want to  consider something along the  line of my 900 watt heater  mod

here is the link: 

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.msg209917#msg209917

and  yes i do run it  with a  PID  with relay for the heater element,,, blower run s full time, Smoke generator  runs off of a  auber timer  and separate  relay just my  two cents

Tenpoint5

Your going to want to upgrade to a bigger element. Since from what you said your trying to heat 2 bradleys with just a 500 watt element.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

coherent

Thanks to those who have replied so far....
Thanks for the link beefman, I'll look it over. Yes, I'm sure I just need a larger element, I've mounted the one that was in the original Bradley in the back of my built in  unit. I don't know if a simple hot plate element would work, so any feedback would be appreciated. I'd like to get something inexpensive that I can mount permanently and make a shield for like the original.
Only one original heating element in my refab.
The BBQ island is steel 2x4 framed and covered with cement board and then stucco/tile. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, just need better tile mortar for some edge tiles that keep coming loose. You can build one of these for way less than half of what they cost retail. I think I've only used the gas grill 3-4 times. I have a Trager, and when you have a Bradley smoker and a pellet grill, grass grills are just about useless unless company kids want hot dogs or for quick steaks..
I used insulation foam (rated for up to 300 degrees) to insulate the top, sides and back. Bought a PID from Ebay and wired it up. Was cheap and works well.

Posted pics some on Photobucket.  Sorry not the best, but you can get the idea of how I used the old Bradley parts for a built in.

TedEbear

You're close to posting them when you have them on Photobucket.  Now hover the cursor over each pic, look for the "Get Links" to pop up and then copy the "IMG Code" contents box to your clipboard and paste it in a message like this:

That's some fancy setup you have there.    :)

coherent

Thanks TedEbear!!
I figured it was something simple I was missing. In the first pic you can see one of the hollow pucks I make years ago. I've cut quite a few for friends and family on the CNC machine who also have Bradleys (out of both thin cold rolled steel and copper) all have worked flawlessly to date. Although I've never seen a solid aluminum puck in person, it seems they would be quite a bit heavier. These are very close to the weight of a bisquette. If there's any interest, I'll cut and braze a bunch up. I can prob do these for about $7-8 for 3 final user cost. Shipping would be fairly cheap or possibly included as they don't weigh much.
Anyway. mostly interested in input and comments about element alternatives!
Thanks
Marc

Happy Smoking!

rveal23

Great Project Coherent, looks awesome! These pros here will guide you in the right direction with the correct element you will need.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

coherent

Well, not much input for elements, no ordered a cheap single element electric burner. It says 750w, so figure I can add it to work with the original 500W element. Should be pretty easy to hook it to the PID. Just need to find some of that heat resistant wire/sheath or something to the wire doesn't melt. But figure at 250 degrees or less, should be ok? Maybe isolate the connection against the smoker wall? (like those old electric skillet plugs or something).

tskeeter

For performing the dual element mod, most folks pick up some 14 ga. hi temp wire and some terminal lugs from an appliance repair shop.  14 ga. wire is standard for 15 amp circuits.  You'd be pulling about 7.5 amps, so 14 ga. wire would be much more than adequate.