New Mods

Started by r_man, July 18, 2013, 10:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r_man

I've been using a 4 rack OBS for about 7 years inverting racks, cobbling together manual fan inputs, and watching temperatures to an annoying degree.  I'm done and ready to make some mods.  There is an incredible amount of information on mods, but some seem to be based on older pid systems.  What do I specifically need to purchase for a PID system (I'm pretty set on fan and second element installs)?

Thanks,

beefmann

there is a  lot of  information on here,  you  could buy the auber dual probe version which is pre built and  only  thing yuou  have to  do is auto tune it for your system and have a go at it, or buy the  PID which can get a  bit  more complicated with programming, with  ramp and  soak features for  doing  sausages, or  just a  standard model that  will control box temp. .. also auber has timers that can control the length of time on the  smoke generator.

think on these issues

1) will i be  making  sausages ?   then need a  ramp and smoke PID ( this  unit will also control temp at a set  temp )
2) smoking of fish, pork, beef , ( not sausage ) then a standard pid will do 
3) a timer to turn on and off smoke generator for duration of smoke then turn it off. ( good option  for the lazy man of smoking  or  would be away for extended periods )

and yes you  do need a PID for the second element  though i would run both elements together through the  pid, and run the fan full time when  smoking / cooking

r_man

If I buy the Auber  Dual probe Model: WSD-1203CPH it will do everything correct?  Including ramp and smoke controls.  I smoke everything from cheese and salmon to sausages and turkeys, and have property to maintain with 2 young boys running around, so the more control the better.

Thanks

beefmann

yes it can, up to 6  steps