• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tatonka Dust Roast Beef

Started by Saber 4, August 18, 2013, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

After being inspired by devo's recent roast, had to do one this weekend for next weeks lunches and maybe even a dinner or two. Here is the roast rubbed down with the Tatonka Dust handed out by Chris at the MWSO(if you haven't been to a smoke out you have to get to one)

Here's the roast out of the smoker after 3 hours of oak at 220 and 5 1/2 hours total time including the time running on the welder during the power outage I pulled it at an IT of 145 so I could have a more rare roast beef for hot sandwiches.

I did slice a couple of tasters after it cooled but forgot to take a picture, I'll get some sliced pictures tomorrow when I slice it up. The taste was great, now I want to get some gunpowder seasoning to compare the two.

rveal23

Looks great and seems to have a good bark on it as well
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

SiFumar

Nice looking roast you have there.

beefmann

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

And here's the sliced up for sandwiches shot, left a small chunk for a dinner this week

I would have had it sliced and pictures posted earlier but I got a call from the neighbor and had to go shoot a feral hog in their pasture. Unfortunately no meat from this one, I had to dump her for the coyotes because she had a tumor like growth on the side of her head and I just didn't want to take a chance on anything being wrong with the meat.

rveal23

That looks great. Sorry to hear about not getting any of that meat!  I don't hear that type of issues her in So Cal.  :P
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Quote from: rveal23 on August 20, 2013, 12:12:44 AM
That looks great. Sorry to hear about not getting any of that meat!  I don't hear that type of issues her in So Cal.  :P

I've never seen or heard about anything like it before and it may have been nothing more than scar tissue from an old injury, she'd lost an ear and the other had been chewed up pretty good and they were very old injuries. But with all the disease that can be in them especially in the summer heat I figured better safe than sorry, besides I have free run of a 300 acre ranch for hog hunting so I can get more. Here's a picture that sort of shows the growth, the other side was narrow and smooth like I would expect.

Here's the smooth side with the missing ear, she sure had a long Russian snout.

And it was a sweet shot just under the right eye at 200 yards across a lake.

rveal23

it's pretty awesome when you can go out in your yard and get some fresh meat.. all I see when I walk outside is a house a few yards away. :(
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

It is a good feeling to look out the windows in the mornings and evenings and see the deer grazing with the mules in the pasture, and I have actually had the driveway alarm go off at 2 in the morning and stepped out the door and shot hogs 25 feet away in the front yard.

rveal23

Ya, I can't say that we can do that in my neighborhood..  :o
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

SiFumar

Looks like a bad tooth ache! Lol!  ;D