• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

cokking temps as shown in bradley manual

Started by mherbert127, August 21, 2013, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mherbert127

I see that Bradley recommends smoking a brisket to 170. I disagree. I usually take mine anywhere from 195 to 205. It allows the collagen more time to break down, and the meat becomes much more tender. Did my first brisket to 160. Edges were okay, but center of slices were tough.
Same with Boston Butt. Take it to at least 195. Pulls apart so easily then. Again, it gives the collagen enough time to break down. 

devo

What a wonderful first post, glad to see your as knowledgeable as many of our members here on the Bradley forum. Perhaps you would like to tell us a little about yourself and what brought you to our little home so we could get to know you better.
Welcome and enjoy the many knowledgeable posts here

beefmann

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, like the other's have said it sounds like you've got a good base of knowledge. Looking forward to your posts and pictures of your smokes.

KyNola

195-205 is going to give you pulled beef brisket which is fine if that is what you're seeking.  If you remove it at 180-185 it will slice nicely.  Again, just depends on what you are looking for.

ragweed

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

mherbert127

I still feel 195 to 205 is correct temp to smoker brisket to. I will reconfirm my beliefs tomorrow afternoon when I take the 11lb brisket I currently have smoking on my front porch out to slice and eat.

mherbert127

I work at Cabela's in Wisconsin and was able to purchase a Bradley Smoker at a HUGE discount. So far I have done a beef brisket, 2 pork shoulders, and 3 or 4 batches of chicken wings. Just copied the recipe for Atomic Buffalo Turds. Can't wait to put them into the smoker, possibly this weekend.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mherbert127 on August 22, 2013, 11:36:19 PM
I still feel 195 to 205 is correct temp to smoker brisket to. I will reconfirm my beliefs tomorrow afternoon when I take the 11lb brisket I currently have smoking on my front porch out to slice and eat.

Hi mherbert127;

Welcome to the forum.

Your target IT may work fine. The worst that can happen is that you have a lot of pulled brisket for sandwiches, stews, and soup. Just be careful not to "overcook" it to the point it becomes mushy and dry.

I feel the proper doness is both a combination of the cooking temperature, the final IT, and the length of time the meat has been in that "zone" - where the collagen is breaking down into gelatin.  In competition barbeque, many  will target an IT around 205°F for sliced brisket, but those cooks are cooking at a much higher temperature then you will in a Bradley.

I use the IT as a guide and not the final target, as soon as the brisket get to the point of "doness" I'm looking for I take it out. I check for doness using a fork, anywhere' s from 5 - 10 degrees before I get to my target IT. If I can insert the fork in the brisket with very little resistance it is at the point where I want sliced brisket. If I can insert the fork and can twist it easily, then I'm at the point where the brisket can be pulled/shredded.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: mherbert127 on August 22, 2013, 11:36:19 PM
Then that is exactly how you should cook your brisket.  Your brisket, your smoker, your preference.

That's why they make both chocolate and vanilla. ;)

mherbert127

Did my brisket to 198. Was still very moist. Sliced well for sandwiches. Used some in the making of Atomic Buffalo Turds. Did per Bradley recipe. Personally I feel they were bland. Needed more flavor, perhaps salt or salt/rub blend. Maybe add shredded cheese to cream cheese mixture. They were tasty, just needed a kick. Anybody have suggestions ??? I am ALWAYS willing to take suggestions from other chefs/smokers. The day you stop learning is the day they plant you in the ground. 

Tenpoint5

What dept do you work in up in Prairie?  I make it up every now and then. Its only about 2.5 hours away
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

stevergs

I slice pepper in half, fill with cream cheese with chives and place little smoky in it. then wrap with bacon and smoke with hickory. no complaints with them. have a good one