• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Questions again !!

Started by cobra6223, October 10, 2013, 02:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

First off my 4 rack swings about 20* =/- from what it's set at however on my last smoke I had a dual probe maverick set up and yes it ran about 20* off on the low side of what my Bradley read, question is do I trust the maverick and up the temp 20* as it seems to cook real slow which seems right running that much cooler so would it be safe to ramp it up 20*? next one Pensrock can probably help me with, in the recipe for Greg's spicy sticks it calls for crushed red pepper followed by ( I used chipotle), I found the red pepper flakes but I couldn't find this in the store, question is, did you put a pepper in the spice mill like the reed pepper flakes to make it or what? Finally one for all the mad scientist on here. Thanks to a friend(Joe) I have really AWESOME SS recipe my daughter wants me to try a garlic, onion, chive SS, Question, for a 5# batch I was thinking 1/2C of garlic chopped, 1/2C of onion chopped and a 1/4C chives to start with sound close to about right? As always guys THANKS for you advice and help in advance !!!  Tim

beefmann

the  temp swings you  see are normal... also if the bradley thermometer is above the meat it also will read  lower then the sensor of a  PID, also id the  PID is located on the back wall it  will read  hotter then the one on the door. the element is in the  lower  back of the  smoker,, this might be why you are  seeing the  variances  in temp .. also moisture in the cabinet affects the temps

as for your  other  questions i cant be  much  help 

Saber 4

Since I have seen swings of 20 +/- I only bump mine up 10 degrees if I need more heat because it could go 20 degrees above before dropping back another 20 degrees.

cobra6223

hey Saber, I can only bump mine 20* at a time not 10, not sure why I hear other people talk about 10 but not this one.

Saber 4

Quote from: cobra6223 on October 10, 2013, 06:54:41 PM
hey Saber, I can only bump mine 20* at a time not 10, not sure why I hear other people talk about 10 but not this one.

Is yours digital? I have the digital 4 rack and can only bump mine up 10 degrees at a time which leaves me having to choose between 220 or 230 as most of the recipes call for 225 degrees

ragweed

Tim, as to the SS, go for it!  You will definitely step up the flavor.  Let us know how it turns out.  Joe.