• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fish to Meat Flavor Transfer?

Started by murmur, October 07, 2013, 06:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murmur

Some friends of mine want to share the purchase a Bradley 4 rack digital smoker.

One is an avid fisherman and will only be frequently smoking  fish- both cold and hot smoking.

The other is a jerky fanatic- both Beef and Game, but will be more seasonal use.

The Jerky Fanatic is fearful that if he splits this purchase that all of his jerky might have a fishy flavor. Should he be worried?
He does not want to endure a long and tedious cleaning project everytime he uses the smoker.

Looking for  real world opinions from folks that are experienced "Cross Smokers" ;D

KyNola

He should not experience "fish flavor carryover".  The question has come up several times over the years and I have yet to read anyone saying there is flavor carryover.  I personally have never experienced the carryover either.

Others will come along for additional information.

tskeeter

I occasionally smoke some salmon and I have never noticed any flavor carry over from the fish to anything else.

But, after the last fish smoke, I did notice a bit of fish odor when I opened the smoker a couple of days later.  Left the door open for a few hours and that seemed to clear up any lingering odor.

pz

Same experience here - have smoked jerky and salmon for the past couple of decades in the same smoker and have never experienced transfer of flavor/aroma in either direction
My online cookbook: good food & friends

pondee

I recently smoked some Bluefish fillets and had no flavor carry over to the ribs smoked later that weekend.