Deeper smoke

Started by murrhunts, October 06, 2013, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murrhunts

Here is my process with smoked cheese

Let stand till room temp

Smoke for 3 hrs with apple, I keep the temp as low as possible with ice block in the smoker. 

It gets a smoke flavor but I would like it a little deeper in the cheese, any ideas how to do this???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Saber 4

Are you vacuum sealing it and putting it in the fridge for at least 4-5 weeks to let the flavor's distribute? That is what the cheese guru's have instructed me to do and it has worked unbelievably well. There is at least one member with a neat cold smoking generator that gives him deep smoke without the wait.

murrhunts

I did let on block sit for 5 months last time and it tasted a lot better.

Saber 4

Quote from: murrhunts on October 06, 2013, 12:29:13 PM
I did let on block sit for 5 months last time and it tasted a lot better.

Now that's what I call dedication, of course now that I am getting a stockpile of cheeses I can start saving some that long also. And if we get an early winter in Texas I can start doing a whole bunch of cheese.

devo

If you can keep you temp around 85-90 degrees you will see the cheese has a darker color and I think better penetration of the smoke. The longer you leave it before eating will help distribute the smoke also.

Cold smokers can be made out of just about anything, like my microwave cold smoker  ;D

Saber 4

I like the microwave smoke chamber that's a simple way to get an air tight box

murrhunts

that is something, I tried making one out of a wooden box that I made.  But for some reason it didn't seem to work to good.

mwilliams7967

Love that microwave idea!! I think its time for a new microwave anyway!!!

sage03

does the micro. turntable keep the burnt bisquettes distributed evenly so they don't pile up  on one side???