• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Boston Butts or other large cuts of meat

Started by ssherman, September 19, 2013, 07:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Perplexing for sure.  Given your crockpot comment I have something you may want to try.  Smoke your butt in the usual manner.  When the butt reaches 140 IT, wrap the butt in foil and allow it to roast until the IT reaches 190-195.  My theory is that like in the crockpot, the butt wrapped in the foil will steam itself and should power right through the stall period.  I will be interested to learn if the butt pulls easier for you using the foil wrap procedure.

You will not have a pronounced bark with the foil wrapped butt as the steaming action will prevent the bark from drying out and hardening to the meat but the seasoning flavor will still be there.

ssherman

Quote from: KyNola on October 02, 2013, 06:59:13 AM
Perplexing for sure.  Given your crockpot comment I have something you may want to try.  Smoke your butt in the usual manner.  When the butt reaches 140 IT, wrap the butt in foil and allow it to roast until the IT reaches 190-195.  My theory is that like in the crockpot, the butt wrapped in the foil will steam itself and should power right through the stall period.  I will be interested to learn if the butt pulls easier for you using the foil wrap procedure.

You will not have a pronounced bark with the foil wrapped butt as the steaming action will prevent the bark from drying out and hardening to the meat but the seasoning flavor will still be there.

I'm a glutton for punishment + Soopers had Butts on sale + I have a friend coming in from Memphis, therefore I have another large butt in the Bradley.  I started early @ 6:00 here, so we will see how long it takes.  I may tent the thing like I did the brisket w/some apple juice in the bottom of the pan.  That, pluse the FTC seemed to work very well and should also do well with the Butt.

Oh, I love my toys, so I ordered and have a Thermapen™ for my cooking pleasure.  This thing will be a great improvement over the crap I have been using.
What is the ground drag coefficient of an unhusked turtle?