• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello from Prince George BC

Started by floydboy69, October 21, 2013, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floydboy69

I just purchased the OBS from Canadian Tire on sale. I seasoned the smoker and noticed that the Bisquettes are charred on the bottom. Not to ash but definitely burnt. Smoked a whole chicken and it was good. Used apple flavor. Yesterday smoked a cut up turkey. 8lb of meat took over 6 hours and it was still not done. Finished it in the oven but did notice a stronger smoke smell and flavor. For the turkey used maple flavor.

I like the unit and my only concern is the full burning of the pucks.....unburnt on the top but black on the bottom of the pucks. Is this normal

Thanx

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, the bisquettes don't always burn completely, depending on humidity and type of wood. Also it is important to remember that the beauty of the Bradley is that it get's rid of the bisquette before it has burned all the way through and gets to the stage of throwing off a bitter acrid smoke. Make sure you keep your vent open all the way and have water in your bowl to extinguish the burnt bisquette. As for the time it took for your turkey took, with the Bradley cooking to IT is going to be more accurate than cooking to time as each piece of meat will cook in it's own time, in other words to 12 lb turkey's or pork butts won't necessarily be done at the same time.

ragweed

What Saber 4 said.  Also, poultry really soaks up the smoke.  I usually only smoke for 2-3 hours, then continue to cook without smoke until an IT of around 165 F.  Keep that top vent open and welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

beefmann

welcome aboard and  enjoy ,  lots of good people and  information

floydboy69

Thanx for the info.....ive vented the unit to the great out doors and removed the vent control so it is open at all time. I have ordered the bubba pucks from pools and yards......not sure how im gonna smoke at -20 but I will figure it out.

NorthShoreMN

Welcome from N E Minnesota. 28f and snow flurries
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi