Pork butt cook time

Started by ddawson31, October 28, 2013, 06:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddawson31

I had a 5lb bone in pork butt, In Bradly cooking between 220-240. I planned on a 6 or so hr cook time, However after 8 hrs it had only reached 170. So much for pulled pork ended up slicing it up. Was very tastefullll, Any thoughts on cook time/Temp, I thought that it should have cooked up too 190 or so. It was not a very fatty pork butt, Perhaps that was it?????

GusRobin

butts can take up to 1.5 -2 hrs per lb. I usually do 8 lb butts and they take me anywhere from 16-20 hrs.
You were probably starting to come out of the stall at 170. So you probably had an hr or 2 left.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Saber 4

Every pig is different and cooks at different times that's why the experts here that I learned from stress cooking to an IT and using the fork test to determine when the pig is done to the level you are looking for. I have had two 7 pound butts out of the same package put in at the same time and rotated racks and one finished a couple of hours before the other did. Always start earlier than you think you need to in order to have the extra cook time, you can always FTC or reheat in a crock pot if you finish to early but you can't always delay a meal. Others will chime in with their methods and opinions, so pick what works best for you and have fun

Wildcat

Butts get done when they get done. Hours will vary considerably. The larger ones will take between 16 and 24 hours on average. I have had them take as long as 30 hours when doing two large butts. You MUST have patience. They will go through a stall period, but when they are finished they will fall apart. At the cabinet temps you mentioned, you should have waited until it reached around 190. If your true cabinet temp was between 220 and 240, I guarantee it would have eventually reached 190. Even cooking at a cabinet temp of 205 like I do, it would have reached 190. Logic dictates that it has to.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Quote from: Wildcat on October 28, 2013, 06:55:46 PM
Butts get done when they get done. Hours will vary considerably. The larger ones will take between 16 and 24 hours on average. I have had them take as long as 30 hours when doing two large butts. You MUST have patience. They will go through a stall period, but when they are finished they will fall apart. At the cabinet temps you mentioned, you should have waited until it reached around 190. If your true cabinet temp was between 220 and 240, I guarantee it would have eventually reached 190. Even cooking at a cabinet temp of 205 like I do, it would have reached 190. Logic dictates that it has to.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^

ddawson31

OK, Thankz sooooo much for the timely and informative answers.

beefmann

agrees with 1.5 to 2 hours per lb as  reference however, it gets done  when it is done. usually  pulled pork  is ready in the 185 to 200F range give  or take a bit

dman4505

must have patience young grasshopper
I did an almost 7 pounder a few weeks ago and it took a good 12 hours to get to the magical 190

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.