• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First shot at back bacon!

Started by Tiffin, October 24, 2013, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffin

So i finally got around to making myself some back bacon. Followed Habanero Smokers recipe exactly, didnt want to stray at all being my first time. So cured for 6 days, 2 hours of maple smoke, brought to an IT of 145.
Ended up being about 6 pounds of back bacon.
Heres a pic of one of them after it was smoked.

both sliced up (no meat slicer so they arent the most even but oh well)

and for supper had some eggs benedict and fresh cut hashbrowns, we have never made eggs benedict or even poached an egg so it was interesting, but amazing, the bacon went great with it.

Will definitely make some again, only thing i would change is just a little bit longer soak after the curing, it wasnt super salty just a tiny bit less would have been good.
Father in law bought me a case of Hi Mountains buckboard bacon cure so i will hopefully be backing some buckboard bacon soon and will try to remember to post results and pictures of that.
And ultimately cant wait to try some belly bacon, but one step at a time :)
BDS4 unmodified

KyNola

Nicely done.  I would hammer that plate!

JZ

Very nice job and that plate looks great.

You might want to consider doing a test fry of a piece after soaking and before smoking, to see if it has the right salt taste for you. If it's too salty soak it bit longer before smoking. I learned that one the hard / salty way.

Tiffin

Yea i did pan fry a small piece before i did the smoking phase and it seemed fine to me at the time, however i really had no idea what i was expecting at the time as it was my first any kind of bacon.
But thats the learning phase, making tweaks along the way!
BDS4 unmodified

Habanero Smoker

That is some nice looking back bacon.

I have had pretty good luck using my Canadian (Back) Bacon recipe for Buckboard (Hillbilly, Cottage) bacon. I use 1.5 - 2 teaspoons of brown sugar per pound, and eliminate the onion powder, but if you like onion flavor keep it in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

That is some good looking bacon and breakfast. I've used the Hi Mountain cure before for belly and back bacon, it tends towards the salty side so since you commented on salt and soaking make sure you give it a good soak and fry test before smoking anything you cure with it.

tskeeter

Tiffin, I enjoyed Hab's great bacon recipe, too.  I found that three half hour soaks in fresh water adjusts the salt level to where we like it.

Mr Walleye

Very Nice Tiffin!

I thought I could smell bacon outside!  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

great looking bacon you  have there

iceman

I checked Fed Ex twice and they swear there was no overnight bacon package sent to me! OMG  am I on your spam address list?  ;D
Very nice looking Tiffin.