Snackin'stick stuffer tube.

Started by renoman, October 17, 2013, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

I have a knock off of a LEM 5# stuffer and I'm wondering if it will push the stuffing through a 3/8" tube? It doesn't come with the smaller tube but I am thinking of ordering one. Any thoughts?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449319_200449319?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

tskeeter

Since Lem sells a 3/8 inch tube for their 5# stuffer and the other versions of that stuffer are so close that they appear to be made by the same manufacturer, I bet a 3/8 inch tube would be fine on your Northern.  If you are concerned about the amount of back pressure that a small tube will generate, you can put a bit of extra water in your meat mix.  That makes the stuffing process easier.  Note that you may want to dry the sausage a little longer than normal to help remove the extra water you added to facilitate stuffing. 

renoman

Since the OP I read the Q&As on the NT site and it says this....

"This Kitchener sausage stuffer does not come with a tube for pepperoni sticks and it is not designed for pepperoni sticks so a tube for that purpose is not available."

Maybe because of the plastic gears they are afraid that people will over due it and break them off. I am going to order one anyway and give it a try.

tskeeter

OK, my Lem has steel gears, so that must be how the Lem can handle a small diameter tube.

tskeeter

Renoman, another thought for you to consider.  Some folks let their meat mix sit over night to develop the flavor a bit.  This also allows the mix to stiffen up some.  To minimize the wear and tear on your stuffer gears, what can you do to keep the meat mix from stiffening?  Maybe stuff the casings as soon as the spices are blended into the meat?  And then let the stuffed snack sticks sit to develop the flavor?  Or, if the meat mix has stiffened up, can you loosen it up a bit by running it through your meat grinder before you put it in the stuffer?

And, after the gears on your stuffer strip, buy a set of replacement steel gears from Lem?

Sailor

I have the Grizzly 5lb stuffer and the LEM 3/8 tube and stuff sticks every weekend for the last 3 years.  Never had a problem.  Never broke a gear.  I take it easy and I know when it bottoms out.  When it bottoms out....STOP.....turning the crank.  Just don't try to stuff 5 pounds of meat in 30 seconds  ;D

I have mixed my meat and put it in the fridge overnight and then stuffed in the morning....No problems at all.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Northern_Smoke

I have the same stuffer as you with the plastic gears. I also got the 3/8ths stuffing tube. One thing you MUST NOT do is let the meat sit overnight like someone stated. I have had mine for about 4 1/2 years and it's still going. The 2 key things to remember as others have stated is firstly, do not let the mixture sit in the fridge. Stuff it right after mixing and then let the sticks sit in the fridges. And secondly do not bottom the stuffer out and keep pressure on it. My friend had the same one and he did neither of these 2 and believe it or not the gears held up...it was the plastic nose that the handle mounts to that rounded out so the handle slipped.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Northern_Smoke on October 18, 2013, 06:26:20 AM
I have the same stuffer as you with the plastic gears. I also got the 3/8ths stuffing tube. One thing you MUST NOT do is let the meat sit overnight like someone stated. I have had mine for about 4 1/2 years and it's still going. The 2 key things to remember as others have stated is firstly, do not let the mixture sit in the fridge. Stuff it right after mixing and then let the sticks sit in the fridges. And secondly do not bottom the stuffer out and keep pressure on it. My friend had the same one and he did neither of these 2 and believe it or not the gears held up...it was the plastic nose that the handle mounts to that rounded out so the handle slipped.

I agree with you. Letting the sausage sit overnight in the refrigerator it really stiffens up, making it more difficult for the meat the move through the horn.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Yep I made the mistake of letting stick meat sit in the fridge overnight with cure in it. It was tough stuffing and not damaging the plastic gears. Since then I always stuff right after mixing the cure in. Have not had a single problem with my plastic gears or using a small stuffing tube. Mine is a Grizzley but I think most are made by the same company and they put whatever name on it that had been ordered. I really do not think there can be more than two or three company's producing these.

renoman

Well I finally received my stuffer tube and am in the middle of trying my first batch of snack stix. The stuffing was a breeze with  the 3/8" tube. Had no problems whatsoever pushing it through that tube with the 5# Kitchener stuffer.

Saber 4

Glad to hear everything worked for you.

Mark in Ottawa

Quote from: renoman on November 01, 2013, 01:57:41 PM
Well I finally received my stuffer tube and am in the middle of trying my first batch of snack stix. The stuffing was a breeze with  the 3/8" tube. Had no problems whatsoever pushing it through that tube with the 5# Kitchener stuffer.

Where did you get your tube? I have the same stuffer and would like to order one as well.

Thanks,
Mark (in Ottawa, Canada)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Mark in Ottawa

DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

renoman

Quote from: Mark in Ottawa on November 05, 2013, 07:04:52 AM
Quote from: renoman on November 04, 2013, 03:26:13 PM
Got it on ebay here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Sausage-Stuffer-Stuffing-Tube-Funnel-in-the-slim-3-8-diameter-for-LEM-et-/251033063925?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:1120

Use promo code SAFETY at check out for 15% off.

Thanks! You got the 1 9/16" base?

Mark

Yes. If you have the Kitchener stuffer you need the 1-9/16" base. They are harder to find than the 1-15/16 to 2-1/8 tubes. This is a good tube. Very solid stainless steel. Long and skinny!