Summer Sausage recipe wanted

Started by lumpy, November 06, 2013, 05:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Morning fellow members
I will be getting some venison in the next few weeks and would like to make venison summer sausage.

Any recipes you would like to share? I'm looking for something with a tang to it using ECA or fermento.

Thanks in advance!

Lumpy

Saber 4

Don't have any but watching with interest, I have ECA and would love to give it a try.

devo

Pikeman_95 (Kirby) makes summer sausage all the time. Read over this post and I'm sure you can add  ECA or fermento to the recipe. Just follow the percentages of  ECA or fermento that is recommended by the manufacture.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=23583.msg302339#msg302339

Tenpoint5

Hey ther Lumpy! Its been a while.  Have you tried any of the A.C. Leggs seasonings? I have used their Summer Sausage blend 114 a couple of times with good results. The package of seasoning does 25 pounds. I use 7 Tblsp for 5 pounds then 1tsp per pound of ECA. Give it a shot if all else fails
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

I haven't used ECA or fermento but here's the link to our family favorite.  Reply #7 has the recipe.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=31955

lumpy

Hi Chris
Yes it has been a long time. I have used several premixed packages (Leggs, LEM, etc.) in the past and all are good but I would
like to mix my own and back off on the salt content. I find all the premixed packages too salty for me.

I like Kirby's recipe. Only thing I will change is that I will add salami conditioner (fermento)

Thanks for the info gents.

Lump

pikeman_95

Lumpy
Let me know how it turns out. Please measure it closely so if it works out well I could make a version with it in the recipe. Some like the tank and I think I would be one of those. As for the salt the recipe sheet that I sent you has the salt level lowered form the original version. I never thought it was that high but if lowering does not hurt the taste why not. The last batch we made a week or two ago turned out great. I will be waiting to see how this turns out.
Kirby

lumpy

Shall do Kirby
Thanks for letting me know that the salt content has already been reduced. I will stay with that recipe.
The excel spreadsheets are great. No math needed. :o
Will keep you in the loop.

Thanks
Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

For 2.5 lbs

1.5 lb lean beef
1/2 lb lean poke
1/2 lb poke fat  (or use 1 lb poke butt)

2 t non iodized salt
1/2 t cure 1
1 t paprika
1 t garlic granules
3/4 t packed coriander
1/2 cup nfpdm
1/4 cup fermento
1 T light corn syrup (karo)
1/4 cup cold water

Grind meat, Or use store bought ground of 90/10 @1.5 lbs and 1 lb ground poke

Mix all the dry together and then add the wet. Add the seasoning to the meat, mix well. Place seasoned meat in fridge while getting your stuffer ready. Stuff into fibrous SS casings.

This recipe can be made into a 5 lb batch, you will need to adjust for 5 lbs.

lumpy

Rick
You still have a contact for muslin tubes?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: lumpy on November 07, 2013, 07:19:45 AM
Rick
You still have a contact for muslin tubes?

Get with Chris, I gave him all my cloth bags.

Tenpoint5

Lumpy shoot me an address in a pm and I will get some off to you
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

I use Pikemans recipe and it is great. I upped the garlic some but everyone who tries it says it is real good.
I used to have a local butcher shop make my venison sausage but they closed up and I was trying to get a recipe that was close. I tried about 4 different recipes and this one is almost dead nuts.

Thanks again Pikeman for the recipe.