• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jerky Wafer Mistake turns into Snack (Stick) Wafer's

Started by Saber 4, October 31, 2013, 07:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I started out grinding up 20 lbs of choice chuck for hamburger and after it was ground I decided to pull 5 lbs for a batch of Ragweed's Jerky Rounds. And that was where I made my first mistake, because I was grinding for hamburger and not jerky I didn't trim enough fat out of the meat for good jerky. I mixed up my marinade of Kikkoman Signature Teriyaki Marinade, 1/3 bottle of Rodak's Mustard Fusion Sauce, 2 tsp kosher salt and 5.5g cure #1, mixed it into the meat and into the fridge overnight, then stuffed in 1.5" casings that I had. Then into the freezer, sliced, casings removed and ready for a trip through the dehydrator.

And my second big mistake was to run them through the dehydrator on a cold rainy 98% humidity day, after 20 hours and 20 minutes they were as done as they would ever get, all the water did come out but they are a little greasy still inside but fully dried, I just don't think I can expect them to last very long with the extra fat inside.

I do like the flavor and the size of the wafer's and it is so easy to stuff and slice them with Ragweed's method. And I owe a big thanks to Joe for his help on the phone this morning and for his suggestion that we call them Snack Wafer's instead of Jerky since they aren't as dry as normal jerky would be. :) Of course the dogs were upset that they turned out so good and they only got a taste of them instead of the whole batch they were hoping for.

ragweed

I don't think you'll have to worry about keeping them around too long.  Bet they taste great.  Mistake?  No such thing.  The dogs lose again.  :(  Besides, you got me to thinking about making my snack stix recipe this way.  Less stuffing, nice bite sized snacks.  Gonna try it.  Good job!

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on November 01, 2013, 05:14:50 AM
I don't think you'll have to worry about keeping them around too long.  Bet they taste great.  Mistake?  No such thing.  The dogs lose again.  :(  Besides, you got me to thinking about making my snack stix recipe this way.  Less stuffing, nice bite sized snacks.  Gonna try it.  Good job!

After they rested for a couple of hours they weren't nearly as fatty as I thought when I pulled them out and the 1.5" casing seems perfect, you get 1-2 bites per and 8 in a vac bag looks like enough for a good snack.

Whistlerduck

Very cool, thanks for sharing! They look great.

-Whistlerduck
DBS 6

cobra6223

They look good Saber, Mistake? I tend to think it was an experiment that went bad but turned out okay!!