• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

COMING BACK

Started by sherlock, November 25, 2013, 11:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

After a life altering tragedy in 2009, I am coming back into the fold. Yesterday, I dug out the Bradley and fired it up to see if if it still worked. Probably should clean the puck slide but, it heats up ok and pucks do go through the generators.
However, heavy smoke is coming out where the generator attaches to the box.

Any suggestions........

Secondly, I guess I already know the answer but, would the cures, spices etc still be good.

beefmann

check to see if your top vent is  open,,, most run it  wide open full time

PapaC

Welcome back. I hope all is well.
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Saber 4

Welcome back, I'm with beefman sounds like the vent is closed or blocked. I would think that even if the spices and rubs were still good that after this long they would be flavorless.

tskeeter

Sherlock, I'd toss the spices and rubs.  Unless they have been vacuum sealed, the expected shelf life of many spices is about 12 months.  After 12 months, they are still safe to use, but the oils that provide and carry the flavors have largely evaporated, significantly decreasing the amount of flavor provided by the spices.  After four years, I'd expect them to be pretty flavorless.

Tiny Tim

Hey Sherlock, welcome back.  Must be something in the air...I got my smoker out a few months ago, after it sat idle since around the time yours stopped being used. 

Hope to see you posting more and more...remember, we still like to see pics of food.  Smoke on and take care.

iceman

Welcome back Sherlock  :)

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

sherlock

Thanks everyone.

I will check the vent. I didn't think about when I dug the smoker out. All I was thinking about was the burner and the puck feeder. As far as the spices, I agree, five yesr is a long time. I may try some of the vacuum sealed mixes but, I don't expect much.

Looking forward to get back enjoying the world of smoking.

S

Saber 4

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your journey back into smoking. ;D