• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dried beef recipe

Started by tailfeathers, November 21, 2013, 12:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Anybody have a recipe for cured and smoked dried beef?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

deadeye51224

I have one from the Rytek Kutas book that I have been using for a couple of years.  Just got my BDS last week and have a batch in it right now as the first use of the BDS.

Cure (5 lbs. meat):

2 1/2 gallons ice water
1/2 cup Instacure #1
1 1/2 cups salt  (I use Kosher salt)
1 1/2 cups powdered dextrose

Pump trimmed beef with brine, then place beef in the brine and cure at 38 degrees for 10-14 days.

After curing soak meat for several hours, changing water every hour. (I usually do two changes of water)

Put beef in stockinettes....and let drip dry

Here is the recommended recipe:

10 hours at 100-110 degrees with no smoke
12 hours at 100-110 degrees with smoke
6 hours at 120 degrees with no smoke
7 hours at 130 degrees with no smoke

I always used to just stick the cured meat in the Weber Bullit and cook it to 155 IT.  But it kind of had that acrid smoke flavor.  And a lot of babysitting.  And it's not true dried beef.

Now with BDS, the low set point on temperature is 120 degrees, but with the large temperature overshoot ( mine seems to be -20/+10) I'm hoping it will come out ok.  We'll see.  I already ordered a PID to get better temp control.

I grew up in Midwest with dried beef, and here in New England they look at you with a quizzical expression when ask about dried beef at the meat counter, so I resorted to making my own.  I don't dare put any out on a meat platter at get togethers, because it gets wolfed down and they ask for more until it's all gone!!!
Witty saying to be plagiarized shortly...

deadeye51224

My batch just finished about 8:30 this morning, and stuck the smaller piece in the freezer to cool it down quick because I was anxious to see if the BDS was doing all that I want it to...

After cooling it down, got out the meat slicer, set it to paper thin.....started slicing...wife and #2 son grabbed some, and both at the same time said best dried beef ever!!

Now she's just a bit less irritated with getting the BDS....I think.

Next up... a batch of summer sausage while the next batch of dried beef is curing....

tailfeathers

Thanks! Got a recipe for you to try. Melt a pound of velveeta with a can of evaporated milk in a double boiler. When melted add a couple tablespoons of the cheese mixture to a beaten egg, then stir the coddled egg into the cheese mix. Add about ten pieces of your dried beef and cook for a few minutes to thicken. Serve on rusk rounds if you can find them. Cooled and refrigerated it keeps for a long time. Best sandwich  spread ever!

tailfeathers

Oops should have said to chop or shred the beef before adding it.

deadeye51224

Sounds like a really good SOS recipe

Have to try it.

Thanks