• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Woo Hoo! Got me a pork belly, first bacon! updated with pics!

Started by PapaC, November 19, 2013, 04:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaC

Called my local butcher yesterday, and asked if they had any pork belly, and they did.   8)  Told em to cut me a 5lb slab, and I'd be right down! It was frozen, so I put in the fridge to thaw, and today I started my first ever bacon cure!

Here it is in all its raw glory with the cure ingredients, (tenpoint5's recipe of course).

Cure being applied.

All bagged up ready to go into the fridge.  :D Stay tuned.....
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

beefmann

Saber 4

You are going to love that recipe, I use it for belly bacon and Canadian Bacon. You will never want to buy bacon at the store again.

KyNola

Congrats!  You are going to be SO spoiled now.

RedJada

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 19, 2013, 06:06:12 PM
You are going to love that recipe, I use it for belly bacon and Canadian Bacon. You will never want to buy bacon at the store again.

Gota love 10.5's recipe. 5lbs of belly is a good starter. I put 9lbs in to cure this past Saturday, will be smoking this Saturday. If you will be using a slicer. Let it set if the fridge over night, then an hour or so in the freezer before slicing. Just makes it easier. I haven't bought store bacon in I don't know how long. Although, I have ate some, just not the same.

iceman

Your gonna love that bacon.
Every now and then Chris comes up with a keeper recipe  ;)

PapaC

Got it done last night! Turned out out great, VERY tasty  :o  Two hours of Maple smoke, then heat only till IT was 140. Things I learned; I need a slicer, and probably a new vacuum sealer. Should have let it set longer after it dried overnight to get the inside of the belly closer to room temp before smoking. It took 4 1/2 hours total just to get to 140. I wanted to go to 150, but it was getting late, and I wanted to turn in. It was around 40 degrees outside, and I had a hard time with the temp for some reason. It was jumping around, and I was turning it up in small increments to get the it there, and then I was worried that I was overdoing it, like cooking the stuff. Does it usually take that long for you who have done bacon to get it to 140-150?

Put it in the fridge overnight to cool and firm up, then I sliced, packed up some for the freezer, and had breakfast. I am really pleased with it, and I will definitely have to do twice as much next time! My wife is amazed at how well these projects come out. Well, maybe she's just amazed that I can do them!  :o

A big thanks to all of you here that help us newbs to be able to accomplish these great smokes!
This is right out of the smoker-

I cut it in half lengthwise then sliced it up-

Thanksgiving morning breakfast, and those who say you can't go back to store bought after this are right on the money! this stuff is fantastic!
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

iceman

You nailed it!
Great job! Yes it does take a long time to get it up to temp. Remember, you're cooking fat which is a good insulator. (I seem to get a good layer of it on my belly in the winter too!).   ;D

ragweed

Good job!  Ain't it great?  I've bought my last G-store bacon and I'm thinkin' you have too.

NorthShoreMN

Great looking bacon, enjoy and start another batch soon. It will no last long
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Tenpoint5

That looks like it turned out spectacularly good! I may be biased on the recipe. I do have to give the credit to Habenaro Smoker who gave it to me. I just posted a how to on it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4