Sausage...Missed it byyyyy that much.

Started by Northern_Smoke, December 12, 2013, 02:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

I just about got to make sausage today lol. The plan was 1 pound of Italian for on top of pizzas tonight, 5 pounds of 10.5's rib sausage and then a sopressata. I already put a bresaola and 2 different kinds of lonzino in the fridge to cure. I had everything laid out. Ground ALL my meat and pork fat, had it devided up and got a call from the school. My youngest daughter is sick with a cold and she was not doing so good so off I went. All the meat was packed up in the fridge for when I returned. I got her settled in and me back settled in and was ready to start the production line. I got the spices in the Italian sausage and 10.5s mixed up...and then the phone rang again :( I packed up my sick daughter and was out the door again. By the time everything was done I didn't have the time to stuff. So tomorrow I am hoping to finish everything up and have something positive to report :)

I did do the rib a little differently based in previous experiences. I used dehydrated onion and crushed it up fine and this time I added a few cloves of garlic from our home made pickles. The patty of rib sausage I fried up was phenomenal and I can not wait to put some links in the grill. 
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Saber 4

Hope your daughter gets well quickly, best laid plans always seem to go awry when I get started on a big project. Sounds like you've got it under control can't wait to see the pictures when your done.

Northern_Smoke

I will definitely take pictures. The rib sausage meat taste phenomenal and I can only imagine how much better it will taste when it has some grill marks. I am quite curious about the difference in taste in the 2 different lonzino recipes I used. Too bad there is such a wait lol.

Northern_Smoke

We got the rib sausage stuffed. I found that someone threw out my casings so I had to go get new ones. My last batch was 32-35mm and this time I would only get 35-38 which I find a little big for smokies and brawts but oh well. My daughter was still sick so she helped crank and make links. They sure aren't perfect links by any means and I am perfectly happy with that :) the point was to get her helping and excited about it so mission accomplished!

The sopressata is on hold until tomorrow. The wife just let me in on plans for the afternoon she had made for me. One thing I have learned is to keep them happy or your life goes to sh!t lol. So hopefully tomorrow I will have pictures of the sopressata hanging to ferment for 3 days.

beefmann

what a  frustrating day, hope your daughter gets  well  soon and your  sausage is looking  good so far

tailfeathers

"If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Words to live by!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Sailor

Quote from: tailfeathers on December 13, 2013, 10:44:42 AM

I think that is why man invented alcohol  ;D :o :P just sayin

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: Sailor on December 13, 2013, 12:05:05 PM
Quote from: tailfeathers on December 13, 2013, 10:44:42 AM

I think that is why man invented alcohol  ;D :o :P just sayin

Amen lol

DTJ

Her linking looks better than my linking!!!! :o ;D

Bagman

I go about my job same as I go about my marriage - I do as I am told! :-[
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

Northern_Smoke

Well I finally got all the sausage done. Life kept throwing me curve balls so I didn't have time to take pictures along the way. I ended up going with 2.5 pounds of Genoa Salami that GusRobin posted as well as 2.5 pounds of Tuscan Salami from the Charcuterie book by Michael Ruhlman.

And here they are hanging from the pot rack in the kitchen. My wife was not all that thrilled about raw meat hanging in her kitchen but I assured her it would be worth it. (I hope I am not made a liar with these sausages)

Without having made sausage before using the Umai dry bags, I only had a rough estimate of how big to make them based on the videos. I think next time I would make them a little smaller. The diameter is probably 3 inches or slightly more.

Anyways I guess time will tell whether the recipe is a winner or the casings were made too big

Northern_Smoke

Quote from: Bagman on December 14, 2013, 06:58:41 AM
I go about my job same as I go about my marriage - I do as I am told! :-[
Thats a damn good way to operate. Safe on all accounts.