• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

If you are a taxpayer this could turn into a Rant.... This ticks me off big time

Started by Oldman, June 05, 2006, 07:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winemakers

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 07, 2006, 05:41:58 AM
Winemakers;

I agree with most of what you said and you make some good points, but get I frustrated when someone uses the pronoun "we" to make a political point. Democracy is great, but one man - one vote system can end up as 51% of the population leaving in a democratic society, while 49% live in tyranny. I understand this is an extreme example (or maybe not :-\), but my point is I voted for the other guys :)

I appreciate the fact that you voted (!), but regardless of who we vote for, our responsiblities continue.  We need to monitor the goings on, spending, achievements, etc. of those who ended up with the government jobs.  Accountability is the word others have used and it is a good one.  If the system is broken, it needs to be fixed, even though it seems to be impossible. 

I'm as frustrated as anyone with the tax code, political fund raising, etc. but I have a hard time with the phrase 'I voted for the other guy'.  Please understand I mean no malice, criticism or any personal insult, but rather, I mean to say that our responsibility continues or even gets greater if the other guy wins.  After all, the team we had confidence in isn’t making the rules anymore, all the more reason to watch closely.

Locally, we have a city councilman that spent $30,000 on a campaign for a $10,000/yr job.  Isn’t that fundamentally wrong?  I have issues with the particular fellow following a difference of opinion over a local zoning issue.  I now watch how he votes, what he says, and how he behaves at city council meetings very closely, and I am forced to admit that my opinion of the man has been raised (from snakes belly to gutter crawler) slightly.  Not a pat on my own back, rather that we all have to practice what we preach and at least try to make a difference, not just talk about it.  Go to city council or town hall meetings, WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN.  It may or may not make a difference, but you have done what you can and have earned the right to say I tried my best to make a difference.

Accountability is paramount, we have to work to reinstitute it with our kids, teachers, LAWYERS, engineers, and politicians.  I prefer to start with myself, and with the awesome input of best wife in the world, our children.

more of my rant

mark

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: winemakers on June 08, 2006, 05:07:52 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 07, 2006, 05:41:58 AM
Winemakers;

I agree with most of what you said and you make some good points, but get I frustrated when someone uses the pronoun "we" to make a political point. Democracy is great, but one man - one vote system can end up as 51% of the population leaving in a democratic society, while 49% live in tyranny. I understand this is an extreme example (or maybe not :-\), but my point is I voted for the other guys :)

I appreciate the fact that you voted (!), but regardless of who we vote for, our responsibilities continue.  We need to monitor the goings on, spending, achievements, etc. of those who ended up with the government jobs.  Accountability is the word others have used and it is a good one.  If the system is broken, it needs to be fixed, even though it seems to be impossible. 

I'm as frustrated as anyone with the tax code, political fund raising, etc. but I have a hard time with the phrase 'I voted for the other guy'.  Please understand I mean no malice, criticism or any personal insult, but rather, I mean to say that our responsibility continues or even gets greater if the other guy wins.  After all, the team we had confidence in isn't making the rules anymore, all the more reason to watch closely.

Locally, we have a city councilman that spent $30,000 on a campaign for a $10,000/yr job.  Isn't that fundamentally wrong?  I have issues with the particular fellow following a difference of opinion over a local zoning issue.  I now watch how he votes, what he says, and how he behaves at city council meetings very closely, and I am forced to admit that my opinion of the man has been raised (from snakes belly to gutter crawler) slightly.  Not a pat on my own back, rather that we all have to practice what we preach and at least try to make a difference, not just talk about it.  Go to city council or town hall meetings, WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN.  It may or may not make a difference, but you have done what you can and have earned the right to say I tried my best to make a difference.

Accountability is paramount, we have to work to reinstitute it with our kids, teachers, LAWYERS, engineers, and politicians.  I prefer to start with myself, and with the awesome input of best wife in the world, our children.

more of my rant

mark
You make too many assumptions to further your arguments. One in particular is assuming I am not politically active, and just waiting on the sidelines.

Since this is not a political board, I'm going to get back to what I come to this board for; to mainly discuss smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

winemakers

fair enough, and as always, no offense implied or intended, just venting at times.

mld

Oldman

Shucks I was enjoying what you all were saying. Points and counter points were well executed.

As those of you that have been around here for a while you know a couple of times I've been slammed / insulted for being a gamer.  I always found that to be kind of funny as some of the topics on a gaming site can really get intense and have nothing to do with gaming.

The latest one on the KoV board has the theme: How much of the Old Testament is null and void, because of the New Testament? I'm not going to post here my comments on that thread, but I do hope that by sharing this latest theme that we all can see that we can debate points and counter points as friends. That an off topic board is open to all discussions if one so desires.

If nothing else you all got to admit this lastest theme on the KoV site is a long ways away from having anything to do with gaming. That gamers like food smokers are a diversified group of fun loving folks.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!