New slicer!

Started by dave97402, May 22, 2014, 07:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave97402

Well new to me anyway. I have been doing a bunch of research and reading trying to find the best slicer I could without costing me a ton of money. I was just about to pull the trigger on one for $150 when I thought, hey....check Craigslist.

Bam....slicer. It's a Globe, runs flawlessly and is very well maintained! $100

ragweed

Wow, nice find!  I'm waiting for my little one to die so I can upgrade to one like yours.

Skishy

Wow that is a steal. If people would be more reasonably priced like that in my neighborhood.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

Saber 4

TedEbear

Interesting.  Your post prompted me to do a bit of looking around on various places.  I just found a Chef's Choice slicer that normally sells for $130 on Bed Bath & Beyond for $40 on a different site.  It's used but the ad claims it is like new.  For the limited amount that I'd use it I think it might be perfect for my needs. 

Anyone know anything about the brand?

Saber 4

Some people like them I had a Cabela's model that looked identical and it wasn't strong enough for me. I had to have the wife hold the unit in place while I slowly did one slice at time on a smoked and fridged roast so I got rid of it and just kept checking CL until I found a good deal.

dave97402

And it works great on my new bacon!! What a difference to have properly sliced bacon. Great tasting thanks to 10.5 bacon recipe.

tailfeathers

Quote from: TedEbear on May 22, 2014, 09:36:26 PM
Interesting.  Your post prompted me to do a bit of looking around on various places.  I just found a Chef's Choice slicer that normally sells for $130 on Bed Bath & Beyond for $40 on a different site.  It's used but the ad claims it is like new.  For the limited amount that I'd use it I think it might be perfect for my needs. 

Anyone know anything about the brand?

Quote from: Saber 4 on May 23, 2014, 05:54:29 AM
Some people like them I had a Cabela's model that looked identical and it wasn't strong enough for me. I had to have the wife hold the unit in place while I slowly did one slice at time on a smoked and fridged roast so I got rid of it and just kept checking CL until I found a good deal.
x2 with Saber. I had one of those to start with and like he said it's so light and underpowered it took one person to hold it in place while the other ran the slicer, and even then it didn't work worth a tinker's damn. My advice would be to keep looking for a good deal on a better model. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're better off knowing ahead of time.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

TedEbear

Quote from: tailfeathers on May 23, 2014, 07:32:33 AMx2 with Saber. I had one of those to start with and like he said it's so light and underpowered it took one person to hold it in place while the other ran the slicer, and even then it didn't work worth a tinker's damn. My advice would be to keep looking for a good deal on a better model. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're better off knowing ahead of time.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you.  When I contacted the seller it had already been sold anyway.  I will keep checking around for a good deal.  I don't know much about different slicers and with the limited amount I'd be using one I figured I will not need a commercial quality model but I would like one that it doesn't take two people to use.   :)

Maybe I'll get lucky someday on Craigslist.

tailfeathers

If you can easily pick it up with one hand, pass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

TedEbear

I just saw this on Craigslist:  Manconi commercial meat slicer 10" - $200.

It's used but it sells for a whole lot more than that brand new and it weighs 55 lbs.  Probably wouldn't need someone to hold it down while the other one slices.  I just don't have a need for something that robust.

Saber 4

One thing I learned as I got my used machine is to make sure you can easily get parts before you purchase. Some brands are difficult to get parts for or they are very expensive. The factory meat grip for my $100 slicer was going to cost $350 and take 6 months to get from Italy so I had to find a used but similar meat grip at a butcher's supply store in San Antonio and do a lot of cutting and grinding to make it fit and work. So when you look at a used model make sure the motor is strong and that if it's missing something that you can actually get the missing parts cheaply.