• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help on brisket time

Started by medic 76, October 09, 2006, 04:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medic 76

I am new to the bradley,  today I am smoking a brisket , what is the usual time to cook a brisket ? I put it in at 10;00 this am and it is now 8:00 pm  and it is sill running around 190 f on the smoker and the is about 165 f on the temp.  do I need to do anything different? 
thanks
Bill

owrstrich

medic 76 is a hoosier... ha ha ha... i got a recipe for white castle stuffed terkey... good stuff...

your brisket smoke... im thinking you need to kick up the box temp... 200 minimum... 190 is too low and will dehydrate the beast more than 200 to 210 box...

165 is the plateau temp... it will stall between 160 and 180 for hours while the connective tissue renders itself...

i smoke room temp 8lb briskets at 200 box until 185 to 190 internal... sometimes they take 14 plus hours... low and slow is key...

i dont normally suggest smoking at above 210 cause i think it boils the moisture from the beast... however some of the brisket royalty here... and the brisket king himself... smoke them at 225 box... im thinking at this stage of 10 hours at 190... you may want to kick it up to 225 for an hour then drop it down to 210 for an hour then finish it off at 200... i thinking finishing this one off like that will help keep its moisture in it...

are you going by the dial thermo on the door or a digi thermo...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

medic 76

Thanks for the advice Owrstrich,  I will try that next time I do one which will be here in a couple of days.  I pulled this one out when it hit 165 f and I am glad I did.  the brisket that I bought was not very big 3-4 lbs. and it turned out pretty good, not dry or anything lke that.  part of the problem I don't think that my temp gage was all that good.  my digital  has not been delivered yet hopefully today. Thanks for the info And I'll be doing the way you said next time
Thanks
medic 76