• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

just purchased 6 rack

Started by dgoerner, February 07, 2014, 12:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgoerner

Hello Everyone

Started my new adventure, I live in NJ, this should ad more flavor to the smoke.
Does anyone know the cure mixture for a center cut pork rib, I would like to cure it, then smoke, then slice into thin pork chops.

Thanks

pondee

Quote from: dgoerner on February 07, 2014, 12:13:47 PM
Hello Everyone

Started my new adventure, I live in NJ, this should ad more flavor to the smoke.
Does anyone know the cure mixture for a center cut pork rib, I would like to cure it, then smoke, then slice into thin pork chops.

Thanks

Welcome.  What part of New Jersey?  Passaic county, here.

Habanero Smoker

Hi;

Welcome to the forum.

More information would be beneficial. What are you using to cure with, Morton's TQ, Cure #1, a pre-mixed brand cure?

If you can access the recipe site, you can use the curing recipe for Canadian Bacon, though you may want to reduce the sugar, and maybe not add the garlic or onion powder. Don't use the cooking temperature, for this you want to apply cold smoke, slice and cook the chops later.
Canadian Bacon

If you can't get to the recipe site, the below is the condensed version:

If you are using Morton's TQ, apply 1 tablespoon per pound, if you like you can add an additional 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar for each tablespoon of cure. Place in a plastic sealable bag, and cure in the refrigerator for 6 days, turn the bag over every day to redistribute the cure and reposition the meat (overhauling). After curing for 6 day remove from cure, and rinse any remaining cure from the surface of the meat. You should not need to soak, but if it is too salty, soak in at least 3 gallons of water for an hour, turning over after 30 minutes.

Cold smoke (at about 70 - 80°F) for 2 - 3 hours. Wrap tighly in plastic and allow to "rest" in the refrigerator for a day before slicing it into chops.

If you have Cure #1, the easiest way is to make a basic dry cure; which is by weight 2 parts pickling salt (non-iodized table salt), 1 part white granular sugar, and cure #1 which is equal to 10% of the combined weight of the salt and sugar: 16oz. salt + 8oz. sugar x 10% = 2.4 oz cure #1.  Application is the same as Morton's TQ

If you have a commercial premixed cure follow the directions on the package.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dgoerner

dgoerner

Wow thanks habanero, I have both cures.
Which one is best, is there anything special when it has the bone

pondee

dgoerner

I used to go to a gun store there years ago, off of goffel

pondee

Quote from: dgoerner on February 07, 2014, 03:19:27 PM
I used to go to a gun store there years ago, off of goffel

Off Lincoln

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: dgoerner on February 07, 2014, 02:04:00 PM
Wow thanks habanero, I have both cures.
Which one is best, is there anything special when it has the bone

With bone-in and if you are leaving a fat cap greater then 1/4" increase the brine time by a couple of days.

If you are going to follow the Canadian bacon recipe, using Morton's TQ would be the easiest if you already have it. Just measure out the appropriate amount of cure and apply it to all areas of the loin.

I don't have much time this morning, but I'm assuming you got to he recipe site. You can also try a wet brine.
Brined Smoked Pork Chops: I suggest you cold smoke at 70 - 80°F, instead of fully cooking them at 200°F.

I find using Tender Quick expensive to use for a wet brine. Instead of Tender Quick, you can use 8oz of salt + 3.20oz (1/4 cup + 4 1/4 teaspoons) cure #1 + 1/2 cup white sugar (or brown); per 1 gallon of liquid.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)