• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Splitting sausage

Started by Thompsoncentre, March 02, 2014, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

So I made some sausage over the weekend, with collagen casings, we tried a couple right after making them and they cooked up fine. Then we fried up some in the morning an I'm not sure if I just had the pan too hot or I over stuffed, but both sausages split dwn the centre and just opened right up. So I threw another one on after I turned down the heat an cooked it slow without an issue. Never had a fresh sausage do this before. I'm a little worried about cooking them on the bbq. Anyone else have this issue?

WoodlawnSmoker

Sorry, I'm practically a sausage virgin so I'll be interested in what the experts say.  Doesn't meat generally contract when cooking?  The only thing I can think of is some air pockets are heating and expanding.  When you cooked slower, the air didn't expand as fast?

NePaSmoKer

From over stuffing or high heat. The meat will expand when cooking and the casing will rupture or split. Old casings have done this also

Thompsoncentre

Thanks nepa! I think I over stuffed. Sucks because I have 10lbs. But I cooked one last night and the split was minor.

pensrock

Spilt or not it will still taste good.  :)

bundy

Gives you a place to melt some cheese !! ;)