• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

converting old standard Bradley to digital

Started by bjrose, March 07, 2014, 04:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjrose

I'm in the middle of converting my smoker to digital. Could the smart ones confirm my thing. I am going to install the digital thermostat and connect those two wires to the digital plug i will mount near the bottom. The rest of the wires i was going to leave attached to the plug as they were with the two thermostat wires isolated. i was going to leave the slide wires on and the slide just left on full. just the lazy way to do it. can any one see a problem with my thinking? ::)

hutcho

Why not spend that money on a pid controller?  You will actually gain something more than a screen and it can be mounted right in youe smoker.   TedEbear has a good example of one and im sure he will be along shortly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

beefmann

go with a auber pid, weather it bew a  plug and play or  diy .. both good and makes  an  original a  digital  unit

TedEbear

TedEbear has arrived.   :)

Anyway, I did this mod from the "how-to" instructions on the forum recipe site.  If you want to turn your OBS into a digital you can install a PID controller in the SG.  Not only will it be digital but you'll be able to maintain tight temp controls to within 1-2 degrees.  The parts to make it all work will run you around $70-$80, depending on what you can salvage for some discarded electronics or have to purchase.  For instance, I rescued a heat sink off an old PC that they were tossing out at work.

Here's my setup:

Here's how to do it:

Adding a PID Controller

And if you're going to add a PID controller you might also think about upgrading the 500W main element via the dual element mod.  Some people have replaced it and gone with a 900W finned element.

Additional Heating Element Modification

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

bjrose

Hey dont get me wrong i want to do the mods you guys speak of, but i am very time constrained right now. i was doing it this way just to get me going and having a little more control than standard. i would appreciate it greatly if someone could just answer the above question for now.  ;)