• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first ever sausage - a variation of Jagerwurst

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, March 01, 2014, 06:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Took the plunge today and decided to make my first sausage, it turned out to be a great experience, very relaxing.  So many recipes out there but I decided on a variation of Ruhlman's Jagerwurst or Hunter sausage.  It went very smoothly, I can't think of a single negative point.  Well, I had one blow-out while filling but it was easily fixed and away I went.  My wife Jann helped me stuff and provided much positive feedback.

I've never made sausage before but this forum has hours of reading and learning to help new comers.  I ground, mixed and stuffed using my KitchenAid mixer.  Yeah, I'm sure I'll get tired of this unit if I keep this up, but for now it's just fine, I'll graduate when I graduate.

This was tonnes of fun.  Here's the recipe I used, my twist on Ruhlman's:

5 lbs pork shoulder
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon toasted and ground coriander seeds
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons toasted and ground mustard seeds
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Cure #1
2 teaspoons dextrose
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup water

I dried them for an hour at 130 F, then bumped up 10 degrees each hour.  I gave them 3 hours of whiskey oak smoke and left them in until an IT of about 152 F.  This sausage will be great with some smoked cheese and a glass of red wine, it's got an earthy taste that I bet is best cold.  How fun is this hobby, I'll do it again and again.  Here's some pics.  I welcome all comments to improve my technique...please.

All stuffed and ready for smoke

A little taste, it's good!

Blooming

It's all good

Saber 4

Looks good, I'd call that a success, welcome to the Dark Side. ;)

carnie1

They look pretty good to me , are you sure it was your first time?  :o

ragweed

Congratulations!  What hobbies will you be giving up now that you're a sausage maker?

cobra6223

Welcome !! Well for a first try it looks dang good. You should also know it's not How fun is this hobby BUT how addicting this hobby is !!  ;D

Salmonsmoker

Great job Wood! Even if the blow-outs don't look so good they're good to eat.There's no going back now, I hope you realize.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

RedJada

watchdog56

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks folks.  This is great fun and yes...very addicting.  I'm already thinking about the next 3 recipes I want to try.

Tenpoint5

Real good looking sausage for your first shot out of the gate
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bundy