summer sausage

Started by manfromplaid, April 12, 2014, 07:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

here are the results of my first sausage attempt. IT  sat at 145-149 for 6 hours then started to drop slighty .  pulled from smoker and water bath cooled to 100 deg.  wrapped and refridgerated. sliced one this morning to go with my coffee. seems ok to me and swmbo, not to dry nice texture and flavor. will heat the next batch up some for my taste. all iall

manfromplaid

renoman

I ordered mine online. This is a really great addition to your cooking appliances not just for making sausage but many other things as well. Last night I did two beef tenderloin steaks. Put them in in the morning and set the Anova to 130 degrees. Took them out just before dinner and seared them on the grill for a couple minutes and they were perfect. Did a 7 pound inside round awhile back for a party where we served beef on a bun. Put it in the night before and just forget about it until you are ready to slice.

tskeeter

Looking at Kirby's water bath bubbler system makes me think about making up something similar for my Nesco turkey roaster.  I was thinking about using a loop of food grade high temp plastic tubling, such as the high temp tubing used by home brewers, and an aquarium pump to stir the water to keep the temp even.  Kirby's stainless tube system would be ideal.  But I'm too lazy to build a set up quite that elaborate.  Now, if Kirby was selling a drop-in bubbler loop sized for a turkey roaster, I'd be there with cash in my fist in a New York minute.

RexLan

Quote from: tskeeter on April 14, 2014, 09:27:47 AM
Looking at Kirby's water bath bubbler system makes me think about making up something similar for my Nesco turkey roaster.  I was thinking about using a loop of food grade high temp plastic tubling, such as the high temp tubing used by home brewers, and an aquarium pump to stir the water to keep the temp even.  Kirby's stainless tube system would be ideal.  But I'm too lazy to build a set up quite that elaborate.  Now, if Kirby was selling a drop-in bubbler loop sized for a turkey roaster, I'd be there with cash in my fist in a New York minute.

Great ... bring cash and plenty of it .... :)

Habanero Smoker

That is a great idea. I may be copying that real soon. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RexLan

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 14, 2014, 12:56:09 PM

BS ... I demand money!

Works great.  I used soft drawn 1/4 copper and soldered it all up.  I drilled holes the first time .. big mistake so I had to solder them all shut.
You can take the copper and just bend it around to sit on the outside edge of the pan in the cooker and crimp[ the end shut.  I actuall stretched mine so it was hard drawn and then it was rigid and I could bend it with a bender.

Use a sharp ice pick and poke as small of a hole as possible in the copper.  Just a slight tap with the hammer and make the hole the size of a pin.  It will bubble real good and the temps are quite uniform.  That was the biggest air pump I could find.

pikeman_95

Guys
I think if you go with some sort of air stone you will find that a mass of micro bubbles coming to the surface will really move more water then just a few larger bubbles . Here is a link to a 10 inch air stone that if one were laid next to each side of the roaster they would keep the water moving.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/add-a-stone-airstone-10in?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c212520&ne_ppc_id=1463&ne_key_id=26812829&gclid=CIvKovyf4b0CFcyTfgodLCsAEg

They make many different stones and the silicone tubing that comes with them is not hot water sensitive.
Kirby

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RexLan on April 14, 2014, 01:15:16 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 14, 2014, 12:56:09 PM

BS ... I demand money!

Works great.  I used soft drawn 1/4 copper and soldered it all up.  I drilled holes the first time .. big mistake so I had to solder them all shut.
You can take the copper and just bend it around to sit on the outside edge of the pan in the cooker and crimp[ the end shut.  I actuall stretched mine so it was hard drawn and then it was rigid and I could bend it with a bender.

Use a sharp ice pick and poke as small of a hole as possible in the copper.  Just a slight tap with the hammer and make the hole the size of a pin.  It will bubble real good and the temps are quite uniform.  That was the biggest air pump I could find.

The check will be in the mail on Monday. :)

Kirby;

Thanks for the link. I will look further into it; but I couldn't find any information about the airstone and tubing being heat resistant.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pikeman_95

The air stones that I have are just that. They are like a stone material. Go to one of your local pet stores that sells aquarium supplies and purchase one for a couple of bucks. The tubing that I found is silicone tubing and again it can take the temperatures that we are using. I tested mine at 165 F and they did fine. That 10 inch stone is a small investment to find out. I would bet it is the same material as mine and will not have any problem with the heat. I see if you look closer to the ad. You can link several together. If you put a couple of those down both sides of a turkey roaster pan they would pump the water up the side wall and out into the pan. It should give a nice even temperature throughout the roaster.
Kirby

RexLan

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 15, 2014, 06:11:10 AM
The air stones that I have are just that. They are like a stone material. Go to one of your local pet stores that sells aquarium supplies and purchase one for a couple of bucks. The tubing that I found is silicone tubing and again it can take the temperatures that we are using. I tested mine at 165 F and they did fine. That 10 inch stone is a small investment to find out. I would bet it is the same material as mine and will not have any problem with the heat. I see if you look closer to the ad. You can link several together. If you put a couple of those down both sides of a turkey roaster pan they would pump the water up the side wall and out into the pan. It should give a nice even temperature throughout the roaster.
Kirby

I have a pretty good size variable air pump and it will barely run one of those stones and it takes about an hour for it to get going.  That is why I made my own and went for the larger bubbles which do a good job mixing.  Your air pump looks to be a monster.

pikeman_95

Mine was designed to provide air for a 300 gallon aquarium. It runs 4 stones with out any problem. I starts instantly. I would guess you have a bad pump. here is a link to a pump that probably would work well. It has a little less volume then mine, but will probably work fine. If I was using a turkey roaster. I probably look at the long stones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Gal-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Air-Pump-15ft-Airline-Tubing-Air-Stone-Check-Valve/320922374787?_trksid=p2046732.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D6223591598308513916%26pid%3D100040%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D251233260616%26

RexLan

Yep ... that looks like a dandy pump for sure and I'd go for that if starting from scratch.  The stones would make it considerably easier to make too.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the additional information. I will definitely look into it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.